Work due to varying acceleration

In summary, the problem involves calculating the work done by gravity on a space vehicle falling from a height of 3300km above Earth's surface. The negative vector form of the universal law of gravity is used because direction is important. The distance change is positive because the vehicle is moving from a larger radius to a smaller one. The differential displacement vector along the particle path is calculated using the integration method and the direction of travel.
Calpalned

Homework Statement

A 2800-kg space vehicle, initially at rest, falls vertically from a height of 3300km above the Earth's surface. Determine how much work is done by the force of gravity in bringing the vehicle to the Earth's surface.

**I read my textbook's method and I got confused. Please take a look at my questions at the bottom of this post.

Homework Equations

See part three.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my textbook's method.
esfsf.jpg

I am confused:
1) Why do we have to use the negative vector form of the universal law of gravity?
2) The distance changes from 3300 km to 0 km (Earth's surface). All of the numbers between 0 and 3300 are positive, so is that why ##d \vec l ## is positive?
3) Where did ##d \vec l = dr \vec r ## come from?
4) During the integration ##\vec r ## vanishes. Why is that?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) We use the vector form because it includes the directions which are important in this question. The negative sign is there because the force of gravity acts in the opposite direction to ##\vec r##.

2) ##d\vec l## is positive because it is change in ##r##. As your textbook points out, you are moving from a large radius to a small radius, so the change will be positive.

3) Look more closely at the textbook. It says ##d\vec l=dr\hat r##, where ##\hat r## means unit vector in the direction of ##\vec r##. So ##d\vec l## is a vector of length ##dr## in the direction of ##\vec r##.

4)Look at the integration. We have ##\hat r \cdot (dr\hat r)##. Recall that the scalar product of two vectors will always produce a scalar, so there are no vectors in the final answer.

EDIT - Sorry I must have written answer (2) with my eyes closed! I think it's because you're looking at the work done by gravity, which is force over a distance, so this distance should be positive.

Last edited:
Likes Calpalned and AlephNumbers
So whenever direction is important, I have to use the negative vector form of the universal law of gravity?

The real question is "why is ##d \vec l = dr \vec r ## the differential displacement vector along the particle path?"

Notice that in the integration that they are doing, they are going from a larger radius to a smaller radius. So along the integration path, the lengths of the differential distances are (-dr). Note also that the direction of travel is in the negative r direction, as represented by ##- \vec r ##. So, the differential displacement vector along the particle path is ##d \vec l = (-dr)(-\vec r)=dr \vec r ##

Chet

1. What is work due to varying acceleration?

Work due to varying acceleration is the amount of energy needed to move an object from one point to another when the acceleration of the object is changing. It takes into account both the force applied to the object and the distance it travels.

2. How is work due to varying acceleration calculated?

The formula for calculating work due to varying acceleration is W = F*d*cosθ, where W is work, F is the applied force, d is the distance the object travels, and θ is the angle between the force and the direction of motion. This formula takes into account both the magnitude of the force and the direction in which it is applied.

3. What is the difference between work due to varying acceleration and work due to constant acceleration?

The main difference between work due to varying acceleration and work due to constant acceleration is that in the former, the acceleration of the object is changing, while in the latter, the acceleration remains constant. This means that the force applied to the object is also changing in work due to varying acceleration, while it remains constant in work due to constant acceleration.

4. What are some real-life examples of work due to varying acceleration?

Examples of work due to varying acceleration can be seen in many everyday activities. For instance, when riding a bike, the cyclist applies a varying force to the pedals, causing the bike to accelerate and move forward. Another example is when throwing a ball, the force applied to the ball changes as the arm moves, resulting in varying acceleration and the ball's movement.

5. How does the direction of the force affect work due to varying acceleration?

The direction of the force applied to an object affects work due to varying acceleration because it determines the angle between the force and the direction of motion. The greater the angle between the two, the less work is done on the object. This is why it is important to apply force in the direction of motion to maximize the amount of work done on the object.