Work-Energy involving two forces on a pulley.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the calculation of work and torque forces in a pulley system. The person asking for help has attempted to use both work-energy and force methods, but is unsure of how to incorporate torque forces. They mention finding the force applied by a rope attached to a man, and the force of friction on the pulley. The conversation includes a step-by-step explanation of how to solve the problem using both methods, as well as a discussion of alternative approaches. The conversation concludes with the person expressing their gratitude for the help and mentioning that they now have multiple ways to approach similar problems.
Ascendant78

Homework Statement

phot5o.jpg

Homework Equations

photo.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I tried working on this problems a few different ways and kept hitting a dead end. The work in "relevant equations" was my last attempt. I have spent well over an hour on this problem and I am ridiculously frustrated.

Our professor never covered this type of problem in our course and I just can't seem to figure it out on my own. I found the force of the rope the man is holding onto to be 935N, which I am almost certain is right. However, I am not sure how to go about solving work-energy for the pulley. I don't know how to incorporate torque forces into the work-energy equation. If someone could help point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem statement has no question in it.
Are you supposed to find how hard the brake was applied?

I see a bunch of calculations but it is hard for me to follow your reasoning at each stage.
You appear to be wanting to use conservation of energy arguments - so the initial gravitational and kinetic energy turns into work by friction? But I don't see anything that looks like a calculation of the work done by friction.

The use of free body diagrams suggests that you wanted to use a force argument though - balance of torques, and kinematic equations?

Could it be that thinking about two methods at once has lead to some confusion?

Oh, sorry. Yes, the answer in the back of the book is for the force the brake applies to the spinning pulley. Also, yes to the two methods getting me a bit confused.

What I did first was used work-energy to find out how much force the rope attached to the man must have applied in order to stop him at the 75m mark. The value I got for that was 935N. However, when it came to solving work-energy for the pulley, that is where I got lost. I wasn't sure how to analyze the two forces (friction and force of rope attached to man) in the work-energy equation. I figured torque should be considered since the amount of force would be dependent on the distance from the center of the pulley, but I am not sure on that one. I really am completely lost on it.

The tension in the rope is doing work on the man? OK.
If you push the break with normal force ##N##, then the force of friction is ##f=\mu N##

The friction causes a torque - the work done by a torque is ##W_\tau=\tau\theta## ... there ##\theta## is the total angular displacement of the pulley in radians.

But I'd suggest you do the whole energy from everywhere in one go ... otherwise you'll get some confusion about what to do about that ##F_{rope}##.

initially there is energy in:

KE for the man
KE for the pulley
height of the man above final position

finally the energy went into: work from friction.

I'm curious that there are two values for the coefficient of friction.

Thanks so much! I got the right answer! Our book didn't even have that formula for work done by torque in it, so where I was going wrong was applying the torque over the distance it was applied (75m) rather than the angle. I even tried a few other things, but of course none of it came out right. Oh, and as far as the two values for the friction, our book shows (static, kinetic) values for all problems, even if you only need one of the values.

One thing I am curious about... the only problem they demonstrated that came close to this involved only variables. However, in that problem they seemed to address the forces against the pulley as regular forces rather than torque forces. Can you tell me how I could go about doing that in this problem? I just want to be able to see this from as many angles as possible for future problems where one method may be easier than the other.

Anyway, if you could fill me in on that, I'd really appreciate it. I also really appreciate you helping me out with this problem. It really was driving me crazy and it is extremely frustrating that it was all because it didn't show me the equation for work done by a torque.

In this problem, you could consider the friction force times a distance instead of the torque times the angular displacement. i.e. ##W= fd: d=\theta/R## and ##f## is the friction force. It's as if the brake-block had slid along a surface distance d.

You'll probably also have been given a formula for turning a 2-radius pulley system into an equivalent 1-radius pulley. That way you could just use the "effective friction" times the distance fallen.

Simon Bridge said:
In this problem, you could consider the friction force times a distance instead of the torque times the angular displacement. i.e. ##W= fd: d=\theta/R## and ##f## is the friction force. It's as if the brake-block had slid along a surface distance d.

You'll probably also have been given a formula for turning a 2-radius pulley system into an equivalent 1-radius pulley. That way you could just use the "effective friction" times the distance fallen.

Ok, now I see it. Once I took into consideration the rotations and the resulting distance the friction is applied for as a result, I got the same value for work. Great, now I have a couple ways I can look at these types of problems. Thanks again so much for the help, I really appreciate it.

What is the concept of work-energy involving two forces on a pulley?

The concept of work-energy involving two forces on a pulley refers to a situation where two forces act on a pulley system, causing it to move and transfer energy between objects connected by the pulley.

How do you calculate the work done by each force on a pulley system?

To calculate the work done by each force on a pulley system, you can use the formula W = F x d, where W is the work done, F is the force applied, and d is the distance over which the force is applied. This formula can be applied to each force acting on the pulley to determine the total work done.

What is the relationship between work, energy, and power in a pulley system?

In a pulley system, work is the amount of force required to move an object a certain distance. Energy is the capacity to do work, and power is the rate at which work is done. In this system, energy is transferred from one object to another through the pulley, and power is determined by the amount of work done over a given time period.

How does the direction of the forces affect the work done on a pulley system?

The direction of the forces affects the work done on a pulley system because the work done by a force is equal to the force applied multiplied by the distance over which the force is applied. If the force and the distance are in the same direction, work is positive, but if they are in opposite directions, work is negative. This relationship holds true for each force acting on the pulley system.

What are some real-world examples of work-energy involving two forces on a pulley?

One example of work-energy involving two forces on a pulley is a weightlifting machine, where a person applies a downward force on one end of the pulley, and the weight on the other end moves upward. Another example is a flagpole, where the force of the wind on the flag causes the pulley to rotate and lift the flag up the pole.