Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work Energy Theorem in Spring Block System

1. Feb 2, 2016 #1
    Just got confused that while applying the Work - Energy Theorem in a vertical Spring-Block system performing SHM (considering no other external forces other than gravity), when I apply the theorem from equilibrium position, do I consider the work done by gravity?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello SD, :welcome:

In principle: yes.
    In exercises it's often easier to work with the net force (i.e. the vector sum of the spring force and the gravitational force) and the associated net potential energy ##{1\over 2} kx^2## where ##x## is the extension minus the equilibrium extension.

If you want this clearer, you may want to provide a complete problem statement for the exercise that confused you.

4. Feb 2, 2016 #3
    Yea I understood that it will be better to apply the W-E Principle from the relaxed length of the spring, rather than the equilibrium position.
    I feel that it is simpler to take all forces into consideration. i.e. gravity, spring force and the kinetic energy.
    I have got the clarity, thanks a ton!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook