Work/force with a magnet problem

• Thread starter the7joker7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnet
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between magnetic force and distance, provided by the equation Force = k/(distance^2). When two magnets are 4 cm apart, there is a force of 4 Newtons, leading to the calculation of k as 2500. The conversation then delves into finding the work required to move the magnets from a distance of 3 cm apart to a distance of 11 cm apart, with the correct calculation resulting in 0.1551515152 joules.
the7joker7
The strength of magnetic force varies inversely with the square of the distance between the magnets. In other words,

Force = k/(distance^2)

Suppose that when two magnets are 4 cm apart, there is a force of 4 Newtons. Find the work required to move the magnets from a distance of 3 cm apart to a distance of 11 cm apart.

4N = k/(0.04[tex]^{2}[/tex])m

4N = k/(0.0016m)

k = 2500

One thing that's thrown me for a loop though, is...

The distance between the magnets is 4 CM, or 0.04M.

So do I take the square of 4 CM to get 16 CM, or .16M.

Or do I square 0.04M to get 0.0016M, or .16CM.

I think it's the latter, but I'm not totally sure and I don't get second chances on this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is in fact the former, when raising a quantity to a power it's always a good idea to convert it to it's base units.

[tex]\left(4 cm\right)^2 = \left(4\cdot10^{-2}m\right)^2 = 16\cdot10^{-4}m^2 = 1.6\cdot10^{-3}m^2[/tex]

Last edited:
So k is indeed 2500, eh?

Alright, let me see...

As for finding work...

Work = Integral of ((2500/x^2) * (x)) from 3 to 11.

Does that sounds about right?

No, [itex]k\neq2500[/itex] you may want to check you arithmetic.

For the integral, I'm not sure why your multiplying by x here, perhaps it should be dx? Also take care of your units, your best using meters, i.e. integrate from 0.03 to 0.11.

Perhaps a minor point, but don't forget to square your units, i.e. m2.

Wait, does k = .0064?

I multiply by x because Work is force times distance. I calculate force in the first part. Then I calculate distance with the x. And yes, at the end I forgot to add a (with respect to dx).

So now I have...

Integral of (((.0064/x^2) * (x))dx from 0.03 to 0.11.

Gives 0.0083154 joules.

the7joker7 said:
Wait, does k = .0064?
Sounds much better :approve:
the7joker7 said:
I multiply by x because Work is force times distance. I calculate force in the first part. Then I calculate distance with the x. And yes, at the end I forgot to add a (with respect to dx).
Ahh, but the definition of rectilinear [1D] mechanical work is,

[tex]W = \int^{b}_{a}F(x)dx[/tex]

Ah, okay. Thanks.

Now I have...

Integral of (((.0064/x^2))dx from .03 to .11

Gives .1551515152 joules.

Sound accurate?

Sounds good to me :approve:

1. How does a magnet affect the work/force of an object?

A magnet creates a magnetic field around itself, which can exert a force on certain objects such as other magnets or magnetic materials. This force is known as the magnetic force and it can either attract or repel other objects.

2. Can a magnet increase the work/force of an object?

Yes, a magnet can increase the work/force of an object if the object is made of a magnetic material. The magnetic force of the magnet can attract the object and increase its overall work or force.

3. How can the work/force of a magnet be measured?

The work/force of a magnet can be measured using a tool called a gaussmeter. This device measures the strength of a magnetic field and can be used to determine the work/force of a magnet.

4. Can a magnet affect the work/force of non-magnetic materials?

No, a magnet can only affect the work/force of magnetic materials. Non-magnetic materials, such as wood or plastic, are not affected by magnetic fields and therefore, their work/force remains unchanged.

5. How can the work/force of a magnet be increased or decreased?

The work/force of a magnet can be increased or decreased by changing its physical properties, such as its size, shape, or the material it is made of. Using multiple magnets together can also increase the overall work/force. Additionally, the distance between the magnet and the object can affect the strength of the magnetic force.