1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work function of cathode, visible light

1. May 4, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You need to design a photodetector that can respond to the entire range of visible light (400 nm - 700 nm). What is the maximum possible work function?

2. Relevant equations
    E = hf = hc/lambda

3. The attempt at a solution
    For 400nm, I got E = 3.11 eV
    and for 700nm I got 1.78 eV.

The solution is that the maximum work function is 1.78eV or less, and I do not understand why because 3.11eV is beyond the threshold for 400nm light to emit right? So shouldn't the answer be 3.11eV or greater?

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If your material has a work function of 3.11 eV, then 400 nm light is barely able to knock out electrons, the 700 nm light at 1.78 eV/photon cannot knock out any electrons.
    If your material has a work function of more than 3.11 eV, you cannot release any electrons with visible light.

If your work function is 1.78 eV/photon, then 700 nm light barely manages to release electrons, 400 nm light can do so easily.

4. May 4, 2016 #3
    What is the energy of the emitted electrons for a work function of 3.11 eV with incident light of 700 nm?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted