Work function of a cathode, when the wavelength of light is increased by 50%

In summary, you should always solve equation for one variable and then substitute into the other to solve for the other variable.
Tina20

Homework Statement

The maximum kinetic energy of photoelectrons is 3.14 eV. When the wavelength of the light is increased by 50.0 %, the maximum energy decreases to 1.11 eV. What is the work function of the cathode?

Homework Equations

Kmax = E elec - E not
= hf - hfnot

hf = hc/lambda

*Enot is the work function

Kfinal-Kinital = hf - hfnot

The Attempt at a Solution

Kf = 1.11 eV
Ki = 3.14 eV

change in K = -2.03

From there, I do not know what to do. I don't know how I would go about finding the work function (hfnot)

Can someone please tell me what I should be doing/equating? Your help would be greatly appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
So i thought of converting the equation I posted below to:

Kmax = hc/lambda - hc/lambda not

because hf = hc/lambda

So if Kmax = -2.03
and h*c = 1.989x10^-25

Then the equation would be as follows:

-2.03 eV = 1.989x10^-25/lambda - 1.989x10^-25/lambda not

now in the question it states that the wavelength was increased by 50%. So I tried to solve the equation with lambda = 1.50 lambda and lambda not staying as lambda.

So the equation then looked like:

-2.03 eV = 1.989x10^-25 (1/1.5 lambda - 1/ lambda)

I converted -2.03 eV * 1.60x10^-19 J/ 1ev = 3.248x10^-19 J ( I decided to take out the negative because my final answer would have negative energy which wouldn't make sense.

3.248x10^-19 J = 1.989x10^-25 (1/1.5 lambda - 1/ lambda)
1632981.398 = 1/1.5 lambda - 1/lambda
1632981.398 = 1/0.5 lambda
1.22475x10^-6 = lambda

Enot = hc/lambda
Enot = 1.624x10^-19 J

This answer was incorrect. Can someone please reply and provide some guidance. Thank you!

Tina

Good morning, Tina.
I'm used to W for the work function: E = hc/λ - W.
Write this once for the first wavelength: E1 = hc/λ - W
and again for λ increased to 1.5λ: E2 = hc/(1.5λ) - W
You have two equations with two unknowns, λ and W.
Solve one equation for λ and sub into the other to find W.
I get about 3 times the answer you have.

Ok, thank you for your help, I will work on it right now :)

So I solved for lambda and got an answer of 3,265962.795 m for lambda

I substituted that into the equation:

E2 = hc/1.5 lambda - W

I got an answer of 1.776x10^-19 J for -W.

I inputted with positive value of the answer into the computer and it says the answer is wrong. Is my answer above what you roughly got?

Nevermind! I made a mathematical error. I solved the question and got the right answer! Thank you so much!

I posted another post in regards to a proton being fired towards on Oxygen nucleus and I need to find the velocity at which the proton needs to be fired towards the oxygen nucleus. I think I equated my equations wrong, but if you could take a look at my post and give me any pointers I would really appreciate it :)

Thank you Delphi51

1. What is the work function of a cathode?

The work function of a cathode is the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from the surface of the cathode and allow it to flow through an external circuit.

2. How is the work function of a cathode affected by increasing the wavelength of light?

As the wavelength of light increases, the energy of the photons decreases. This means that more energy is required to reach the work function of the cathode, making it more difficult for electrons to be emitted.

3. What is the relationship between the work function and the wavelength of light?

The work function and the wavelength of light have an inverse relationship. As the wavelength increases, the work function also increases.

4. How does increasing the wavelength of light by 50% affect the work function of a cathode?

Increasing the wavelength of light by 50% will increase the work function of the cathode by approximately 50%, making it more difficult for electrons to be emitted.

5. Why does the work function of a cathode change with changes in the wavelength of light?

The work function of a cathode changes with changes in the wavelength of light because different wavelengths of light have different energies, and the work function is directly related to the energy of the photons hitting the cathode's surface.