Work in Aerospace Industry in America from Sweden

• Thread starter soizndxzp3239
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spacex Work
In summary, although there is a private space industry in America, studying aerospace is not going to help you because that industry is focused on launching solid boosters into space. Esrange, a private space center in Sweden, does launch things into space, but it is not focused on aerospace.
soizndxzp3239
But my problem is that I am from Sweden. My school has exchange agreements with california polytechnic state university and rutgers. Are any of them good and witch is prefferable if you want to work in the aerospace indusry in america?

Physics news on Phys.org
Of those two Cal Poly is at least closer to SpaceX in L.A. But I do not think either is particularly into aerospace.

Probably the more important issue is the export restrictions on rocket technology which mean that only US citizens or permanent residents can work at SpaceX. This is not insuperable, but you need to know this up front. The SpaceX career page also makes clear what they are looking for in candidates.

See here:
http://www.spacex.com/careers.php
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, SpaceX hires only U.S. citizens and U.S. Permanent Residents.

Yes, but it should not be impossible to get a residency. What is the best way? Maybe first get a phd and then apply? Is cal poly considered any good in USA, average or very bad? At least they have a sounding rocket club. I just realized my school has got an agreement with Uni of Illinois as well...

soizndxzp3239 said:
Yes, but it should not be impossible to get a residency.
Unfortunately, it almost is impossible nowadays. Sept. 11 changed everything, particularly so for employers such as SpaceX that are subject to ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations). Suppose a company subject to ITAR did hire you on a H1B visa and did sponsor your permanent residency. You will not be allowed to work on anything that is subject to ITAR until your green card comes through (a process that takes several years). In a company such as SpaceX, almost all technical work is subject to ITAR. With little or no non-ITAR work for you to work on, why should they hire you if you don't already have a green card?

Last edited by a moderator:
soizndxzp3239 said:
Yes, but it should not be impossible to get a residency. What is the best way? Maybe first get a phd and then apply? Is cal poly considered any good in USA, average or very bad? At least they have a sounding rocket club. I just realized my school has got an agreement with Uni of Illinois as well...

There is a catch-22 here. Usually, when you graduate, you get a window (OPT) of 1~2yrs to find a job in your field, and then the company tries to sponsor you for work visa (H1B) that will need to be renewed after 6 years, and while still on H1B either you or the company tries to sponsor you for permanent residency (green card) which can take many many years.

The catch is, without permanent residency, you'll not land a job in the field that needs it, so you'll not have a company sponsor you permanent residency. If you land a job in some other field, by the time you get residency a decade might have passed, and then you need to still have the will and ability to jump to what you had wanted to do.

I had totally wanted to, and given up on, working on anything that can be called a spaceship. But that's just me. And if I see any opportunity I'll still jump at it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that's right. The only private orbital space industry is in america. So by studying aerospace I won't be able to contribute anything. And its so hard to get a residency.

But new materials are crucial for the space developement. Maybe I should go into nanophysics instead?

Have you considered Esrange? It is not SpaceX, but I believe Virgin Atlantic and a few other private companies are interested in operating from there.
And they DO launch things into space (not to mention run controll rooms for varius projects).

Although you would of course have to live in Kiruna...

f95toli said:
Have you considered Esrange? It is not SpaceX, but I believe Virgin Atlantic and a few other private companies are interested in operating from there.
And they DO launch things into space (not to mention run controll rooms for varius projects).

Although you would of course have to live in Kiruna...

Well, I don't think it counts if you are not in orbit. I mean you cold go to space in a ballon. They only launch solid boosters, and they are not developed there. I want to develop new space technology to make space more available...

1. What is the job outlook for working in the aerospace industry in America from Sweden?

The job outlook for working in the aerospace industry in America from Sweden is very promising. The industry is constantly growing and there is a high demand for skilled workers. With advancements in technology and increased interest in space exploration, there are plenty of opportunities for employment in this field.

2. What are some common job roles in the aerospace industry in America?

There are a variety of job roles in the aerospace industry in America, including engineers, technicians, project managers, and researchers. Some specific roles within these categories may include aerospace engineer, avionics technician, systems engineer, and aerospace project manager.

3. What qualifications and skills are needed to work in the aerospace industry in America from Sweden?

To work in the aerospace industry in America from Sweden, you will typically need a degree in a relevant field such as engineering, physics, or mathematics. In addition, strong technical skills, attention to detail, problem-solving abilities, and communication skills are all important for success in this industry.

4. What companies in America are known for their work in the aerospace industry?

There are many companies in America that are known for their work in the aerospace industry. Some well-known examples include Boeing, Lockheed Martin, SpaceX, and Northrop Grumman. However, there are also many smaller and specialized companies that play important roles in this industry.

5. Are there any cultural differences to consider when working in the aerospace industry in America from Sweden?

Yes, there may be some cultural differences to consider when working in the aerospace industry in America from Sweden. For example, the work culture and communication styles may differ from what you are used to in Sweden. It is important to be open-minded and adaptable in order to succeed in a new cultural environment.