Work required to accelerate a horizontal wheel

In summary: C10In summary, the problem asks for the amount of work needed to accelerate a horizontal wheel with a mass of 1150 kg from rest to a rotational rate of 1 revolution in 5 seconds. The solution requires the use of the equations I = 1/2(m)(r^2) and Rotational KE = (1/2)(I)(Omega Squared), but without knowing the radius or diameter, it is impossible to find a final answer. The problem also does not specify if the acceleration is uniform, which affects the use of kinematic equations. However, using the equation W = (.5)(.5)(M)(r squared)[(v / r) squared], the radius term cancels out and
Mark617

Homework Statement

How much work is required to accelerate a horizontal wheel of mass 1150 kg from rest to a rotational rate of 1 revolution in 5 seconds

Homework Equations

I = 1/2(m)(r^2)
Rotational KE (ie work) = KE2 - KE1
Rotational KE = (1/2)(I)(Omega Squared)

The Attempt at a Solution

Without a radius or diameter, I find it impossible to get a final answer. Furthermore, it is not stated whether or not the acceleration is uniform, therefore I don't know that I can use the kinematic equations since they rely on a constant acceleration. If acceleration was uniform the angular acceleration would be 0.251327 rad/s^2 but I am not sure how this helps me since it seems everything is dependent on a radius.

We do not use I = m(r^2) because our teacher made it clear the wheel is not a rigid object instead it is a solid cylinder, so we use the above equation for I.

We can derive a frequency of 0.2 rev/s, a period of 5 seconds for one revolution, and an Omega (angular velocity) of 0 rad/s initial, 1.25664 rad/s final.

I come to a final answer of work = 454 x (radius ^2).

Am I missing something? Can I go any further without more information?

This is a basic Physics I class. I am sure there is an answer that can be derived but if it requires some advanced formulas I am not sure I can give that answer as we may not have covered that material (yet).

Thank you for any help that can point me in the right direction / help me understand this question!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since v=r [tex]\omega[/tex] and you can find the angular velocity, sub the values into the energy equation which cancels out the radius term. Of course this is all based on constant acceleration.

I see what you did there, but I would be left with a linear velocity value in the energy equation which I still cannot find without a radius. (This assumes I understand your response haha).

Substitution would lead to a KE equation as follows : W = (.5)(.5)(M)(r squared)[(v / r) squared].

This would indeed cancel out the r values but alas I am left with a linear velocity. Perhaps I am not understanding, or more likely, my brain is fried due to the time I have put into this one problem while everything else went so smoothly :)

Ops din't scrutinize your workings sorry about that. From my way of interpreting the question, since they mention horizontal wheel and normally wheels are orthogonal to the floor unless you are driving those cars that can fly... Anyway since horizontal wheel i assume it ain't moving hence no translational movement .

Exactly how I read it. The center of mass is undergoing no translational motion, so I dropped the (.5)(M)(velocity squared) from the KE equation. So if I was to substitute in the value of zero, the whole thing would be zero and if that happens my head will explode haha.

I guess I just imagine a merry go round - seems to me it would require more work to move the kid on the outside of the merry go round versus the child sitting a few feet from the axis :( I guess my mental block is stemming from always being given the radius or diameter until this point.

You do need the radius. The energy of the spinning wheel is proportional to I for a given angular speed.

[tex]\Delta KE = I\Delta\omega^2/2[/tex]

which reduces to:

[tex]\Delta KE = \frac{1}{4}mr^2\Delta\omega^2[/tex]

AM

1. What is the definition of work in relation to a horizontal wheel?

The work required to accelerate a horizontal wheel is the energy needed to increase the wheel's rotational speed. This can be calculated by multiplying the torque (force applied to the wheel) by the angular displacement (change in angle) of the wheel.

2. Does the mass of the wheel affect the amount of work required to accelerate it?

Yes, the mass of the wheel does affect the amount of work required to accelerate it. A heavier wheel will require more work to accelerate compared to a lighter wheel, as it has more inertia and takes more force to overcome it.

3. How does the radius of the wheel impact the work needed for acceleration?

The radius of the wheel also plays a role in the work required for acceleration. A larger radius will require more work compared to a smaller radius, as it has a greater distance to travel in the same amount of time, thus requiring more force and energy.

4. Does friction play a role in the work needed for acceleration of a horizontal wheel?

Yes, friction does play a role in the work needed for acceleration of a horizontal wheel. Friction between the wheel and its axis or the surface it is rolling on can cause a decrease in energy and torque, resulting in more work needed to overcome it and accelerate the wheel.

5. Is there a way to reduce the work required for acceleration of a horizontal wheel?

There are a few ways to reduce the work required for acceleration of a horizontal wheel. One way is to decrease the mass and radius of the wheel, reducing its inertia. Another way is to minimize friction by using lubricants or smoother surfaces. Increasing the initial angular velocity of the wheel can also reduce the amount of work needed for further acceleration.