Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Working as an RA in England?

  1. Jan 23, 2010 #1
    As a student in the US, I've been accepted to some UK schools for astronomy, but I seriously doubt I could ever afford the $40k price tag associated with them. I know University of Arizona waives tuition for research assistants, but I'm not sure if I'm even allowed to work in the UK as an international student.

    Are there any US-bred, UK-based research assistant graduate students in astronomy that could shed some light on this for me? Would I be able to bring down that cost by being an RA or am I gonna have to bank on scholarships only?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2010 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    Generally not, grad students don't teach courses as in the US so there aren't really any TAs.
    At some institutes there are opportunities to assist in labs or problem classes but it's only a minimum wage type stuff and only a couple of hours/week.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook