Working fluid for a thermodynamic cycle.

In summary, the conversation is about finding a liquid with a high thermal expansion coefficient to act as a working fluid in a thermodynamic cycle. Pentane is currently the most suitable option, but the person is seeking advice on other potential liquids or mixtures with unique properties for their specific application.
Geir Onsoyen
I am looking for a liquid with a high thermal expansion coefficient. This liquid should act as a working fluid in an thermodynamic cycle based on a system where the working fluid act in the same phase (liquid phase) throughout the cycle.

So far I have found pentane as one of the most suitable fluids - but I would like to know if there are people with experience / knowledge that can help me in this case.

For instance if there exist mixtures of different liquids with special properties that can be interesting?

Thank you.

Science news on Phys.org
Hey Geir,

I am actually trying to find some info on the same type of fluid? Did you have any luck? what application were you using it for?

Thank you
-Jacob

1. What is a working fluid?

A working fluid is a substance that is used to transfer energy in a thermodynamic cycle. It is typically a gas or liquid that undergoes changes in pressure, temperature, and volume, which allows it to perform work.

2. What are the requirements for a working fluid?

A working fluid should have certain properties to be suitable for use in a thermodynamic cycle. It should have a high heat capacity, low viscosity, and be chemically stable at the operating temperatures and pressures of the cycle.

3. What are some examples of working fluids?

Some common working fluids include water, air, refrigerants such as Freon, and steam. Other specialized fluids, such as ammonia or carbon dioxide, may also be used in specific thermodynamic cycles.

4. How does the choice of working fluid affect the efficiency of a thermodynamic cycle?

The efficiency of a thermodynamic cycle can be greatly affected by the choice of working fluid. A fluid with a high heat capacity and low viscosity can lead to a more efficient cycle, while a fluid with a low heat capacity may require more energy input to achieve the desired results.

5. Can the same working fluid be used in all thermodynamic cycles?

No, the choice of working fluid is specific to each type of thermodynamic cycle and its operating conditions. For example, a gas turbine cycle may require a different working fluid than a steam power cycle. Additionally, the properties of the working fluid may need to be adjusted for different operating conditions within the same cycle.