1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Working model of a permanent magnet?

1. Aug 30, 2009 #1
    I know this may sound strange. Has anyone ever successfully created a working physical model of a magnet that exhibits the same properties ("flux" lines and attraction) without using magnetic materials or electrical influence?

Thanks
    G

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2009 #2

negitron

Science Advisor

I rather doubt such a thing is even possible.

4. Aug 31, 2009 #3
    Magnetism exists whenever electrically charged particles are in motion, as in the movement of electrons in an electric current; Magnetism also arises from alignment of magnetic dipoles arising from quantum-mechanical spin...as in bar magnets.

As far as I know those are the only sources.....If magnetic monpoles are ever found, that might do it, but none have been found so far....

Depending on exactly what you mean, a rotating black hole might fit...but it seems that even though one does not contain any "matter" as we know it, that's still the origin of the magnetism...so it's a bit of a stretch....

I'd agree it seems impossible today, but who knows about tomorrow?? It's perhaps similar to asking about antigravity...we don't know how do do that either.... yet....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook