Checking if IGBT High Side Driver is Working

• Thread starter billy fok
  • Start date
In summary, to check if the IGBT High Side driver is working, you can measure the voltage between the +ve supply rail and the gate drive using an isolated multimeter. It may also be necessary to use an oscilloscope to see the switching waveforms. Additionally, it is recommended to add small capacitors in parallel to the driver to filter out high frequency harmonics. To provide further assistance, please post your circuit with component values and the part numbers of the high-side driver and the IGBT.
billy fok
currently I'm using IGBT High Side driver. May i know how to check is the driver working or not working??

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Exactly what voltages are you using ? Is it dangerous HV ?
Measure the voltage between the +ve supply rail and the gate drive with an isolated multimeter.
You might need to use an oscilloscope to see the switching waveforms.
Can you post your circuit with component values and the part numbers of the high-side driver and the IGBT.

Baluncore said:
Exactly what voltages are you using ? Is it dangerous HV ?
Measure the voltage between the +ve supply rail and the gate drive with an isolated multimeter.
You might need to use an oscilloscope to see the switching waveforms.
Can you post your circuit with component values and the part numbers of the high-side driver and the IGBT.
hi, thanks for the quick reply.. this is the driver that i use (http://www.rcscomponents.kiev.ua/datasheets/irs21850spbf.pdf)
for the filter capacitor value is 100 microF, and the charging pump capacitor 10 microF.
i supply 15V to Vcc... hope you are able to help me.

Attachments

• irs21850s.pdf
    339.2 KB · Views: 234
billy fok said:
hi, thanks for the quick reply.. this is the driver that i use (http://www.rcscomponents.kiev.ua/datasheets/irs21850spbf.pdf)
for the filter capacitor value is 100 microF, and the charging pump capacitor 10 microF.
i supply 15V to Vcc... hope you are able to help me.

I assume that your capacitors (10μF, 100μF) are electrolytic capacitors. Remember to add small (ceramic) capacitors in parallel (100nF - 200nF) close to the driver) as the noise from the IGBT includes high frequency harmonics. An electrolytic capacitor is not fit for these, as it has some reactance contained.

Baluncore said:
Insufficient information. No circuit, no IGBT part number...
Symptoms would also be helpful.

1. How can I tell if my IGBT high side driver is working?

There are a few ways to check if your IGBT high side driver is working. One method is to use a multimeter to measure the voltage at the output pin of the driver. If the voltage is within the expected range, it is likely that the driver is functioning properly. Another way is to use an oscilloscope to check the waveform at the output pin. If the waveform looks clean and matches the expected pattern, the driver is likely working.

2. What are the common signs of a faulty IGBT high side driver?

Some common signs of a faulty IGBT high side driver include a complete loss of power to the load, unusual or inconsistent voltage readings at the output pin, and a burning smell or physical damage to the driver. It is important to properly diagnose the issue before assuming the driver is the problem, as other components or external factors could also be causing the issue.

3. How do I troubleshoot an IGBT high side driver?

If you suspect that your IGBT high side driver is not working properly, the first step is to check all connections and make sure they are secure. You can also try replacing the driver with a known working one to see if that resolves the issue. If the problem persists, it may be necessary to consult the manufacturer's datasheet for troubleshooting tips or seek professional assistance.

4. Can I test an IGBT high side driver without powering it on?

Yes, it is possible to test an IGBT high side driver without powering it on. This can be done using a continuity test function on a multimeter. By checking the resistance between different pins on the driver, you can determine if there are any shorts or open circuits that could indicate a faulty driver.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when checking an IGBT high side driver?

Yes, it is important to take proper safety precautions when working with any electronic component, including an IGBT high side driver. This includes wearing appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, and ensuring the power source is disconnected before handling the driver. It is also a good idea to discharge any capacitors before working on the circuit to avoid electric shock.