Understanding Optocoupler Chip for Buck Converter Circuit

• Thread starter onceinalifetim
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is seeking understanding of the optocoupler chip and its role in their buck converter circuit. They have tested the circuit with a PWM chip, High Side driver, and power circuit, but have not been able to measure anything at the output of the buck converter and their High Side driver is not functioning properly. They are wondering where to place the optocoupler chip and if it can transfer signals from low to high. The expert notes that the buck converter does not require an optocoupler and asks for the schematic of the circuit to provide further assistance.
onceinalifetim
hi... i need some understanding of optocoupler chip after doing so much of research.
currently am doing buck converter circuit to observe the switching performance of IGBT..
i test my circuit with (PWM chip > High Side driver > power circuit). when i power on the whole circuit.. i can't measure anything at my buck converter output, and my high side driver is sorted..

for i understand the about the optocoupler chip, is to isolation the voltage.. so i assume the i should place the optocoupler chip between my high side driver and power circuit and is a must to my question is:
  • where do i place my optocoupler?? between the power circuit and High side driver or PWM chip and High side driver?
  • for the optocoupler chip, it is can transfer the signal from low signal to high signal?
Hope to hear from you soon!1

Engineering news on Phys.org
onceinalifetim said:
hi... i need some understanding of optocoupler chip after doing so much of research.
currently am doing buck converter circuit to observe the switching performance of IGBT..
i test my circuit with (PWM chip > High Side driver > power circuit). when i power on the whole circuit.. i can't measure anything at my buck converter output, and my high side driver is sorted..

for i understand the about the optocoupler chip, is to isolation the voltage.. so i assume the i should place the optocoupler chip between my high side driver and power circuit and is a must tomy question is:
  • where do i place my optocoupler?? between the power circuit and High side driver or PWM chip and High side driver?
  • for the optocoupler chip, it is can transfer the signal from low signal to high signal?
Hope to hear from you soon!1

The buck topology DC-DC converter is a non-isolated converter. It uses just an inductor and not a transformer, so there is no need or place for an optocoupler. Can you show us the schematic of what you are trying to do?

1. What is an optocoupler chip?

An optocoupler chip is an electronic component that is used to transfer electrical signals between two circuits while keeping them electrically isolated. It typically consists of a light-emitting diode (LED) and a photosensitive transistor or diode.

2. How does an optocoupler chip work?

The LED in an optocoupler chip emits light, which is then detected by the photosensitive component. This creates an electrical signal that is transferred to the output circuit, providing isolation between the input and output signals.

3. What is the purpose of using an optocoupler chip in a buck converter circuit?

An optocoupler chip is commonly used in buck converter circuits to provide isolation between the high voltage input and low voltage output. This helps to protect sensitive components and ensures safe operation of the circuit.

4. How do I choose the right optocoupler chip for my buck converter circuit?

When choosing an optocoupler chip for a buck converter circuit, you should consider factors such as the required isolation voltage, maximum switching frequency, and temperature range. It is also important to consult the datasheet of the optocoupler chip to ensure compatibility with your circuit specifications.

5. Are there any limitations of using an optocoupler chip in a buck converter circuit?

One limitation of using an optocoupler chip in a buck converter circuit is that it introduces a small amount of delay in the signal transfer, which can affect the circuit's overall performance. Additionally, optocoupler chips have a limited bandwidth, so they may not be suitable for high-speed applications.