Working on Constructing Equations

• Thread starter zeronem
  • Start date
In summary, we are trying to find differential equations for different families of circles with varying parameters such as fixed radii or centers. The general equations for circles are used to derive these differential equations by differentiating and eliminating constants. Similar methods can be applied to other families of curves such as parabolas.
zeronem
I come across some problems,

I'm working on finding Differential Equations for n-parameter Family of solutions. However the problem is constructing the n-parameter family equation to work with to find a Differential Equation for the particular n-parameter family equation.

Here's the problem,

Find a differential equation whose solution is

18. A family of circles of fixed radii and centers on the x axis.

Now i know that a family of circles with center at origin is

[tex] x^2 + y^2 = r^2, r > 0 [/tex]

However I do not know how to form an equation such that a family of circles of fixed radii, centers on the x axis. I find that the fixed radii can be represented by a constant?

The answer for 18 is

[tex] (yy')^2 + y^2 = a^2 [/tex]

That is the differential equation, however I do not know how to get the differential equation if I can't construct a family of circles of fixed radii that centers on the x axis.

Here is another problem

19. A family of circles of variable radii, centers on the x-axis and passing through the origin.

There is only one problem such as problem 21 that gives the equation to you, so you don't have to construct it.

21. A family of circles with centers in the xy-plane and of variable radii. Then it gives a Hint: Write the equation of the family as

[tex] x^2 + y^2 - 2c_1x - 2c_2y + 2c_3 = 0 [/tex]

I read the problems, and I get an idea of what it wants but, the construction of an equation is difficult.

Physics news on Phys.org
zeronem said:
I come across some problems,

I'm working on finding Differential Equations for n-parameter Family of solutions. However the problem is constructing the n-parameter family equation to work with to find a Differential Equation for the particular n-parameter family equation.

Here's the problem,

Find a differential equation whose solution is

18. A family of circles of fixed radii and centers on the x axis.

Now i know that a family of circles with center at origin is

[tex] x^2 + y^2 = r^2, r > 0 [/tex]

However I do not know how to form an equation such that a family of circles of fixed radii, centers on the x axis. I find that the fixed radii can be represented by a constant?
The answer for 18 is

[tex] (yy')^2 + y^2 = a^2 [/tex]

That is the differential equation, however I do not know how to get the differential equation if I can't construct a family of circles of fixed radii that centers on the x axis.
The general equation for a circle of radius r with center at (a,b) is
[tex](x-a)^2+ (y-b)^2= r^2 [/tex]

If the center is on the x axis, then b= 0 so the equation for "a family of circles, of fixed radii, centers on the x axis" is
[tex](x-a)^2+ y^2= r^2[/tex].
You want a to take on all possible values but r is a "given" constant.

Since you want a differential equation, differentiate!
2(x-a)+ 2y dy/dx= 0 or x-a = yy'. IF the problem had been "a family of circles with center at (a,0), differing radii, you would be done now but since it is a that is differing for different circles in the family, you need to eliminate a.
From the original equation, (x-a)2= r2- y2 so the differential equation can be written r2- y2= (yy')2 which is, of course, the same as (yy')2+ y2= r2. (The answer in the book is using "a" as the radius rather than "r".)

Here is another problem

19. A family of circles of variable radii, centers on the x-axis and passing through the origin.

If the center is on the x- axis at, say, (a,0), and it passes through the origin then r= a. It's equation is (x- a)2+ y2= a2.
Differentiating, 2(x-a)+ 2yy'= 0 or x-a= yy' so (x-a)2= (yy')2. Using (x-a)2= a2- y2 to get
(yy')= a2- y2 isn't quite enough since you still have "a" in the equation. (I'll leave the rest of it to you.)

There is only one problem such as problem 21 that gives the equation to you, so you don't have to construct it.

21. A family of circles with centers in the xy-plane and of variable radii. Then it gives a Hint: Write the equation of the family as

[tex] x^2 + y^2 - 2c_1x - 2c_2y + 2c_3 = 0 [/tex]

I read the problems, and I get an idea of what it wants but, the construction of an equation is difficult.

There are 3 constants (this is a family with "3 degrees of freedom") so you will need a third order differential equation.
differentiating, 2x+ 2yy'- 2c1- 2c2y'= 0.
Differentiating again, 2+ 2yy"+ 2y'2- 2c2y"= 0.
Once again: 2yy'''+ 4y'y"- 2c2y'''= 0.

You should be able to use those four equations (including the original equation of the family) to eliminate the three constants.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much! I think I can get the rest of problems now.

There are many more problems that deal with Family of parabolas and such. Which should be a lot easier, since the equation of the parabola is a lot more simple. I should of known how to construct differentiable equations of circles being that I had the equation

[tex] (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2 [/tex] with center at (h,k)

in front of my eyes the whole time.

Plzz help!

HallsofIvy said:
The general equation for a circle of radius r with center at (a,b) is
[tex](x-a)^2+ (y-b)^2= r^2 [/tex]

If the center is on the x axis, then b= 0 so the equation for "a family of circles, of fixed radii, centers on the x axis" is
[tex](x-a)^2+ y^2= r^2[/tex].
You want a to take on all possible values but r is a "given" constant.

Since you want a differential equation, differentiate!
2(x-a)+ 2y dy/dx= 0 or x-a = yy'. IF the problem had been "a family of circles with center at (a,0), differing radii, you would be done now but since it is a that is differing for different circles in the family, you need to eliminate a.
From the original equation, (x-a)2= r2- y2 so the differential equation can be written r2- y2= (yy')2 which is, of course, the same as (yy')2+ y2= r2. (The answer in the book is using "a" as the radius rather than "r".)

If the center is on the x- axis at, say, (a,0), and it passes through the origin then r= a. It's equation is (x- a)2+ y2= a2.
Differentiating, 2(x-a)+ 2yy'= 0 or x-a= yy' so (x-a)2= (yy')2. Using (x-a)2= a2- y2 to get
(yy')= a2- y2 isn't quite enough since you still have "a" in the equation. (I'll leave the rest of it to you.)

There are 3 constants (this is a family with "3 degrees of freedom") so you will need a third order differential equation.
differentiating, 2x+ 2yy'- 2c1- 2c2y'= 0.
Differentiating again, 2+ 2yy"+ 2y'2- 2c2y"= 0.
Once again: 2yy'''+ 4y'y"- 2c2y'''= 0.

You should be able to use those four equations (including the original equation of the family) to eliminate the three constants.

I was reading this and wat abt the case where we have to find differential eq. of circles passing through origin?

FAQ: Working on Constructing Equations

What is the purpose of constructing equations?

The purpose of constructing equations is to represent a relationship between different variables, and to use mathematical operations to solve for unknown values. This is a crucial skill in many scientific fields, as it allows for the prediction and understanding of natural phenomena.

What are the steps involved in constructing an equation?

The first step in constructing an equation is to identify the variables involved and their respective units of measurement. Then, determine the relationship between the variables and choose the appropriate mathematical operations to represent it. Finally, rearrange the equation to solve for the desired unknown variable.

How do I know if my constructed equation is accurate?

An accurate equation should be able to accurately predict the relationship between the variables, as well as produce consistent and reliable results when tested with different values. It is also important to ensure that the units of measurement are consistent and appropriate for the variables involved.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when constructing equations?

Some common mistakes to avoid include using incorrect units of measurement, not considering all relevant variables, and not properly simplifying the equation. It is also important to double check the accuracy of the equation and its results, and to make sure it follows the rules of mathematical operations.

How can I improve my skills in constructing equations?

One way to improve your skills in constructing equations is to practice regularly and to seek feedback from peers or instructors. It is also helpful to study and understand the principles and rules of mathematical operations, and to familiarize yourself with common equations and their applications in your field of study.