Working out speed, kinetic energy and resistive force

In summary: Yes, you have all the information. (One clarification: the force is not constant as a vector here, but it is constant in magnitude. This works out ok because the force of friction is always parallel to the motion, so it still reduces to force x distance traveled along the path. You do not know and do not need to know the end-to-end displacement as a vector.)In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving calculating speed, gravitational potential energy, and kinetic energy. The solution involves using the formula for kinetic energy and relating work and distance to solve for the magnitude of the force of friction. The force of friction is constant in magnitude and always parallel to the motion.
Meezus

Homework Statement

JU261dI.png

Homework Equations

[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I'm not sure how to calculate speed without having both distance and time but I believe it will revolve around calculating gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy.

bi) I think this is just simply using the formula kinetic energy = 1⁄2 × mass × speed2.

bii/biii) I'm really struggling to work out these. I think It might revolve around using the speed from the first question and then take it away from 22m/s.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track for a) and b.i).
I suggest you solve those two first. It might then be more apparent how to solve b.ii)

haruspex said:
You are on the right track for a) and b.i).
I suggest you solve those two first. It might then be more apparent how to solve b.ii)

I believe I have solved them now.
TUukwDk.png

if possible could you help with the last one?

Meezus said:
if possible could you help with the last one?
What equation do you know relating work and distance?

haruspex said:
What equation do you know relating work and distance?

Work = Force x Distance.?

Meezus said:
Work = Force x Distance.?
Looks promising. How would it apply here? Explain in words.

haruspex said:
Looks promising. How would it apply here? Explain in words.

is it something like:
Work done = change in kinetic energy,
Work = - 11250 J?

Meezus said:
is it something like:
Work done = change in kinetic energy,
Work = - 11250 J?
Yes, but I meant the work = force x distance equation. Can you express that in respect of frictional force and the circumstances in this question?

haruspex said:
Yes, but I meant the work = force x distance equation. Can you express that in respect of frictional force and the circumstances in this question?

The amount of work done is equal to the frictional force times by the distance? I'm sorry I'm not 100% sure.

Meezus said:
The amount of work done is equal to the frictional force times by the distance? I'm sorry I'm not 100% sure.
Yes (given that the force is constant; in general the relationship is an integral).

haruspex said:
Yes (given that the force is constant; in general the relationship is an integral).

Am I able to work out the magnitude from this?

Meezus said:
Am I able to work out the magnitude from this?
Yes, you have all the information. (One clarification: the force is not constant as a vector here, but it is constant in magnitude. This works out ok because the force of friction is always parallel to the motion, so it still reduces to force x distance traveled along the path. You do not know and do not need to know the end-to-end displacement as a vector.)

1. How do you calculate speed?

To calculate speed, you divide the distance an object travels by the time it takes to travel that distance. The formula for speed is speed = distance/time. This will give you the average speed of the object.

2. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * mass * velocity^2. This means that the greater the mass and velocity of an object, the greater its kinetic energy will be.

3. How do you calculate kinetic energy?

To calculate kinetic energy, you need to know the mass and velocity of the object. The formula for kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * mass * velocity^2. This will give you the amount of energy an object possesses due to its motion.

4. What is resistive force?

Resistive force, also known as drag force, is the force that opposes the motion of an object through a fluid (such as air or water). This force increases as the speed of the object increases.

5. How does resistive force affect an object's speed and kinetic energy?

Resistive force acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, slowing it down. As the resistive force increases, the object's speed decreases, resulting in a decrease in kinetic energy. This is because kinetic energy is directly proportional to the square of an object's velocity, meaning a decrease in velocity will result in a larger decrease in kinetic energy.