Worst movie physics/common sense

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movie
In summary, the conversation discusses the top worst movies in terms of bad physics and common sense. The movie Independence Day is mentioned as the number one for its unrealistic scenarios, such as a hovering 10 mile in diameter body with no visible propulsion and B-2 bombers outrunning nuclear bombs. The lack of defense systems at Area 51 and the use of parachutes on US fighters are also pointed out as improbable. The topic of sound in space is brought up, with Star Wars being a popular example of not following scientific accuracy. The movie 2001 is also mentioned for its overall scientific accuracy, except for the scene where a character survives in total vacuum by holding their breath.
in 'the day the Earth stood still', when the ailien and the boy went to the proffeser's house, how come the alien understood the celestial mechanics problem? Those weren't alien symbols

Physics news on Phys.org
matthyaouw said:
LA (the volcano film) has to be one of the least scientific ever. Since when did lava travel neatly down streets, rather than through anything and everything. I won't even begin to talk about the tectonic setting of LA.

Well its possible since LA enacted that "Anti-lava building code" into law. :tongue2:

Mozart said:
Its been a long time since I've seen that movie. I do remember seeing Will Smith with a parachute though. I believe he was flying an f/a-18 hornet which can be equipped with ejection seats. Or was it that the parachute actually came out of the back of the aircraft, because I've never seen or heard of that in actual fighters.

A popular one would be sound in space which Star Wars is famous for, among other movies.

He had a drag chute under the F/A-18's speed brake... the speed brake works, but there's no parachute under it, not even room for one. I recall some AIr Force fighters had drag chutes as late as twenty-five years ago.

The absolute worst for me was "Broken Arrow" where the base some miles away felt the nuclear explosion before the heroes did, and the EMP went at the same speed as the ground shock.

LeonhardEuler said:
What keeps blood from boiling when the external pressure is less than its vapor pressure?

Its because the blood is still contained in the circulatory system which keeps the pressure inside the body high enough that the blood can't expand.

On the lungs rupturing there are 4 more types of over expansion injuries you may experience. Some of these can happen even if you don't hold your breath, and are caused by rapidly decreasing pressure.

Subcutaneous (occurring under the skin),

pulmonary over inflation (the lungs as mentioned),

arterial gas embolism (this is the most dangerous and causes a gas bubble to form in the aorta of the heart resulting is blood clotting),

mediastinal emphysema (air is forced through torn lung tissue into the mediastinal tissues),

and pneumothorax (air in the chest).