Would a longer lever require less force to hand pump water? (PHOTO)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
RipleyGallegos
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement
If I had a longer lever for my pump would it be easier to pump water up?
Relevant Equations
N/a
I think that it would take less force to pump water based on the lever principle. But I'm not so sure! Here's a drawn photo.
 
Attachments
  • 0802191502.jpg
    0802191502.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 421
Physics news on Phys.org
A longer lever will make each pumping motion (1) easier to do and (2) less effective in the amount of water it will bring up.

SO ... you make it a bit less stressful per motion but have to make more motions.

Bottom line is that the amount of work is based on the amount of water that comes up, not on how hard/easy anyone motion is.
 
I see thank you!.
But what if the longer lever lifted the same amount of water as the shorter lever? I'd assume it would pump the same amount as water but it took less force yet I would have to pull the lever a longer distance compared the shorter lever. Does that sound right?
 
RipleyGallegos said:
I see thank you!.
But what if the longer lever lifted the same amount of water as the shorter lever? I'd assume it would pump the same amount as water but it took less force yet I would have to pull the lever a longer distance compared the shorter lever. Does that sound right?
yes. You cannot get around the amount of work NOT depending on the pump but on the amount of water raised.