Water wheel and hydroelectric power question

• Thread starter Pinon1977
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the advantages of using an even or odd number of moment arms in a water wheel and the torque it can produce. The individual believes that an odd number of arms would be better due to the lack of equal opposing force, but others argue that as long as the paddles are evenly spaced, the wheel will be balanced regardless of the number of arms. The conversation also touches on the history and design of windmills and their relation to water wheels. Overall, there is no clear consensus on the ideal number of blades for a water wheel and it ultimately depends on the specific design and situation. The individual is conducting this research as an exercise and is interested in finding a more efficient design.
Pinon1977
Homework Statement
What type of water wheel is better: even or odd number of moment arms?
Relevant Equations
Not sure
So I'm trying to determine what the advantage would be using a even or odd number of moment arms respective to a water wheel and the torque that it can produce. Part of me wants to say that the odd number armsvwould be best because you would not have an equal opposing Force from the moment arm being utilized. Please see the sketch. As represented by the center line in the three arm waterwheel, there is nothing opposing the force ( Falling water) that's pushing down on the right side of the machine. However, as you seen the 4 arm water wheel, there is the continuation of the arm which, in my mind's eye, we cancel out some of the downward torquing effect. Maybe I'm way off base here.

Attachments

• IMG_20230622_185951296_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230622_185951296_HDR.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 45
Physics news on Phys.org
I would expect (given the design of the wheel in all other regards) there is an ideal number of blades, not necessarily odd or even.
What makes you think the parity matters? Is this an exercise given to you or just curiosity?

Why would either of those be better than a standard water wheel:
1687498594588.png

haruspex said:
I would expect (given the design of the wheel in all other regards) there is an ideal number of blades, not necessarily odd or even.
What makes you think the parity matters? Is this an exercise given to you or just curiosity?
It is an exercise I have given myself. I am going to build one of these configurations and I'm trying to figure out if there's any logic behind my hypothesis.

It just seems like there would be more have a propensity for the system to become overbalanced on one side or the other with an odd number of moment arms.

Now that I'm thinking about it every windmill that I've ever seen is that three blades on it. That may be for other reasons rather than to work. I'm not sure.

phinds said:
Why would either of those be better than a standard water wheel:
View attachment 328282
Good question and good point. I am in search of a new design configuration that would be more efficient than the aforementioned the design.

Pinon1977 said:
seems like there would be more have a propensity for the system to become overbalanced on one side or the other with an odd number of moment arms.
So long as the paddles are evenly spaced, it will be perfectly balanced regardless of the number.

Likes russ_watters
Pinon1977 said:
every windmill that I've ever seen
1687511562021.png
and boy, have we got a lot of those. For centuries already :smile:

Seems the French have them too

1687511744193.png

##\ ##

Attachments

• 1687511709571.png
    1687511709571.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 45
Likes berkeman and pbuk
I'm not sure windmills are a good argument for 4 blades. A modern windmill has 3. I assume that if 4 were more efficient, they would have 4. The thing to keep in mind is that windmills catch wind in ALL of the blades at the same time. Water wheels do not so they are not fundamentally the same at all.
1687523177449.png

EDIT: Ah, I see. The 4-wheel configuration was simply a response to the OP's statement that they all have 3, not a claim that it was a better design.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters and BvU
IIRC, the odd number of blades is to avoid (un)balance problems that can result in a mechanical resonance with an even number of blades.

Probably the historic windmills didn't go fast enough for that problem to occur.

Cheers,
Tom

Tom.G said:
IIRC, the odd number of blades is to avoid (un)balance problems that can result in a mechanical resonance with an even number of blades.

Probably the historic windmills didn't go fast enough for that problem to occur.

Cheers,
Tom
Interesting possibility… but that would make a prime number even better, no? E.g. 7 better than 9.

haruspex said:
Interesting possibility… but that would make a prime number even better, no? E.g. 7 better than 9.
Especially for cicada powered hamster wheels.

• Haha
  • Love
Likes russ_watters, haruspex and kuruman
Pinon1977 said:
I am in search of a new design configuration that would be more efficient than the aforementioned the design.
Have you seen the efficiency numbers in the Wikipedia article for different kinds of waterwheels? It looks like the most efficient are the "overshot" and "backshot" configurations with lots of slots like the picture @phinds posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_wheel

1687797375682.png

Likes phinds

1. How does a water wheel work?

A water wheel is a mechanical device that uses the energy of flowing water to rotate and generate power. The water wheel has a series of blades or buckets attached to a central axle. As the water flows over the blades, it causes the wheel to rotate, which can then be used to power machinery or generate electricity.

2. What is the difference between a water wheel and a hydroelectric power plant?

A water wheel is a simple, traditional device that uses the energy of flowing water to directly power machinery. On the other hand, a hydroelectric power plant uses a water turbine to generate electricity. The water is directed through a dam and into a turbine, which spins a generator to produce electricity.

3. How efficient is a water wheel compared to other forms of renewable energy?

The efficiency of a water wheel depends on various factors such as the design and size of the wheel, the water flow rate, and the height of the water source. Generally, water wheels have an efficiency of 20-30%, which is lower than modern hydroelectric power plants but higher than other forms of renewable energy like wind or solar power.

4. Can a water wheel be used in urban areas?

Yes, water wheels can be used in urban areas as long as there is a source of flowing water, such as a river or stream. However, the size and design of the water wheel may need to be adapted to fit the available space and water flow rate.

5. Are there any environmental concerns associated with water wheels and hydroelectric power?

While water wheels and hydroelectric power are considered renewable energy sources, they can still have some environmental impacts. Building dams for hydroelectric power plants can disrupt local ecosystems and affect fish populations. Additionally, water wheels can alter the flow of water, potentially impacting the downstream environment. It is important to consider these factors when implementing water wheel and hydroelectric power projects.