Would doing some Chemistry Papers help my physics?

In summary, the conversation is about a student considering adding chemistry papers to their course load in order to potentially work in energy or electronics research. They question whether most physics majors also take chemistry courses and the practicality of it. The other person in the conversation mentions that a strong knowledge of chemistry is useful in certain physics specialties and suggests specific chemistry courses that would be relevant. They also point out that if the chemistry courses do not count towards the student's degree, it may not be worth taking them.
vorcil
All I've done at uni is Physics, math and computer programing papers

i was thinking of adding some chemistry papers, but not quite sure because it won't go towards my degrees

do most physics majors do a few chemistry papers?

-

Most of the papers I've done so far are just electricity, first year physics papers, general and applied math papers, and the papers needed for a computer science major

the reason i want to add a few chemistry papers is because, after i finish i wouldn't mind working for some kind of energy or electronics research, aeronautics ect... ect..

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "doing some papers"?

cristo said:
What do you mean by "doing some papers"?

Ah, like a specific university course.

e.g in a single semester you might do 3 or 4 papers, or courses or subjects
could be a physics course, a two math ones, and something else

-

I was just thinking, do most physics majors throw in a few chemistry courses

I think it's good... but then I'm biased, I have a strong minor in chem (I would have had a major had I taken P-Chem, which in my opinion had too much overlap with quantum and thermo to hold my interest... and the instructor was poor to boot).

Why: a lot of physics specialties require working knowledge of basic chemistry and the periodic table. In materials research (which can include branches of "energy" or "electronics") a strong connection is fairly obvious. In some of these cases, even taking through organic chem and advanced inorganic chem would be useful.

If you're into materials science, then organic chemistry would be very appropriate. Alternatively, a course in physical chemistry would teach you about diffusion, reaction kinetics, and spectroscopic properties of molecules such as symmetry. Otherwise, the rest of it is thermodynamics and quantum mechanics.

It it doesn't go towards your degree it's a waste of time. When you're wasting your time your colleagues will be gaining higher grades than you by sticking to the syllabus.

Related to Would doing some Chemistry Papers help my physics?

1. How does studying Chemistry papers help with understanding Physics?

Chemistry and Physics are closely related fields of science. Many concepts and principles in Physics are rooted in Chemistry, such as atomic structure and chemical reactions. Therefore, studying Chemistry papers can provide a strong foundation for understanding Physics concepts.

2. Will studying Chemistry papers make Physics easier?

Studying Chemistry papers can definitely make Physics easier. As mentioned before, many concepts in Physics are based on Chemistry principles. By understanding these principles, you can better grasp the concepts in Physics and apply them to problem-solving.

3. Can studying Chemistry papers improve my problem-solving skills in Physics?

Yes, studying Chemistry papers can improve your problem-solving skills in Physics. Chemistry involves a lot of calculations and problem-solving, which can also be applied in Physics. By practicing these skills in Chemistry, you can become more confident in tackling Physics problems.

4. Is it necessary to study Chemistry papers if I want to excel in Physics?

While it is not necessary to study Chemistry papers to excel in Physics, it can certainly be beneficial. A strong foundation in Chemistry can help you better understand and apply Physics principles. However, it ultimately depends on your personal learning style and goals.

5. Can I study Chemistry papers on my own to improve my understanding of Physics?

Yes, you can study Chemistry papers on your own to improve your understanding of Physics. There are many online resources and textbooks available for self-study. It is important to have a strong background in basic Chemistry concepts before delving into more advanced topics that are relevant to Physics.