1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Would doing some Chemistry Papers help my physics?

1. Jun 17, 2009 #1
    All i've done at uni is Physics, math and computer programing papers

i was thinking of adding some chemistry papers, but not quite sure because it won't go towards my degrees

do most physics majors do a few chemistry papers?

-

Most of the papers i've done so far are just electricity, first year physics papers, general and applied math papers, and the papers needed for a computer science major

the reason i want to add a few chemistry papers is because, after i finish i wouldn't mind working for some kind of energy or electronics research, aeronautics ect... ect..

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2009 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What do you mean by "doing some papers"?

4. Jun 17, 2009 #3
    Ah, like a specific university course.

e.g in a single semester you might do 3 or 4 papers, or courses or subjects
    could be a physics course, a two math ones, and something else

-

I was just thinking, do most physics majors throw in a few chemistry courses

5. Jun 17, 2009 #4
    I think it's good... but then I'm biased, I have a strong minor in chem (I would have had a major had I taken P-Chem, which in my opinion had too much overlap with quantum and thermo to hold my interest... and the instructor was poor to boot).

Why: a lot of physics specialties require working knowledge of basic chemistry and the periodic table. In materials research (which can include branches of "energy" or "electronics") a strong connection is fairly obvious. In some of these cases, even taking through organic chem and advanced inorganic chem would be useful.

6. Jun 18, 2009 #5
    If you're into materials science, then organic chemistry would be very appropriate. Alternatively, a course in physical chemistry would teach you about diffusion, reaction kinetics, and spectroscopic properties of molecules such as symmetry. Otherwise, the rest of it is thermodynamics and quantum mechanics.

7. Jun 20, 2009 #6
    It it doesn't go towards your degree it's a waste of time. When you're wasting your time your colleagues will be gaining higher grades than you by sticking to the syllabus.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook