Would Engineering Physics be a good major for what I want to do?

In summary: I hope that helps!Welcome! The school is implementing a new model, in which the first year you just choose an area (in this case applied sciences), and the second, third and fourth year is when you really get into your major (in this case Engineering Physics, although the name is weirdly translated; I know it's Engineering Physics because they used to offer the major in English). The last year you also make a specialization, which can be anyone of the three listed there (Photonics, quantum technologies, and alternative energies).The actual courses are near the bottom of the page, in a colored graph.I hope that helps!
HectorViruega
Hello everyone! This is my first post here, so I'm still figuring everything out.

I am a Junior in Highschool, so soon it will be time for me to apply to colleges. Because of my high school, I have direct access to the top private university in Mexico, however, they do not offer Physics as a major. The closest thing they have is Engineering Physics, which I am interested in, but I don't know if it would be a good choice for what I want to do.

I know that I want to go into research, so I would try to get a Master's and a Ph.D., and I'd probably lean more towards experimental rather than theoretical physics. I would like to work on fusion reactors, nuclear energy, or other alternative energy sources. I would also really like to work on astrophysics or quantum physics. I'm still not sure which field I'd get try to get into, but I am planning to decide once I learn more about physics in general.

From what I have researched, it is much easier to get into experimental physics as an engineer than it is to get into Theoretical Physics (not that it is easy to get into either). If I wanted to get into the fields previously mentioned, would Engineering Physics be a good choice, or should I look for another school which offers pure physics? I wouldn't want to pass on the opportunity to study at that university, but I also don't want to study something that will not lead me what I want to do.

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
HectorViruega said:
I have direct access to the top private university in Mexico, however, they do not offer Physics as a major. The closest thing they have is Engineering Physics, which I am interested in, but I don't know if it would be a good choice for what I want to do.
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Can you post or link to the class lists (required and electives) for the Engineering Physics degree at the university that you are considering? That will help us a bit in this. Also, do you know what research groups are active at that university right now, in physics and engineering?

Likes HectorViruega
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Can you post or link to the class lists (required and electives) for the Engineering Physics degree at the university that you are considering? That will help us a bit in this. Also, do you know what research groups are active at that university right now, in physics and engineering?

Thanks! Yeah, for sure:
https://admision.itesm.mx/es/ingenieria-cienciasaplicadas/ifi
it's in Spanish though, so I doubt it will be of much use :/ That doesn't have the electives, as I haven't found where I can look at those.

Also, I don't know the research groups, but I'll make sure to look into that, thanks.

Likes berkeman
HectorViruega said:
Thanks! Yeah, for sure:
https://admision.itesm.mx/es/ingenieria-cienciasaplicadas/ifi
it's in Spanish though, so I doubt it will be of much use :/
When I click into that page, it gives me the option to translate it. I'll look it over... :-)

Likes HectorViruega
Even after translation, I have trouble figuring out what degrees they offer. Are they 2-year or 4-year degrees? Their Alternative Energy option seems close to what you want, depending on the courses and the degree they offer...

WHAT CAN YOU SPECIALIZE?
Thanks to the educational model, you can customize your discharge profile. During the specialization stage consider an accentuation based on your plans when you graduate. The Tec offers you the way to achieve it through the following concentrations *:

• Photonics
  • Quantum Technologies
  • Alternate energies
* These concentrations are not the definitive offer and their availability varies in each campus.

Likes HectorViruega
berkeman said:
Even after translation, I have trouble figuring out what degrees they offer. Are they 2-year or 4-year degrees? Their Alternative Energy option seems close to what you want, depending on the courses and the degree they offer...
Thanks! The school is implementing a new model, in which the first year you just choose an area (in this case applied sciences), and the second, third and fourth year is when you really get into your major (in this case Engineering Physics, although the name is weirdly translated; I know it's Engineering Physics because they used to offer the major in English). The last year you also make a specialization, which can be anyone of the three listed there (Photonics, quantum technologies, and alternative energies).

The actual courses are near the bottom of the page, in a colored graph.

1. What is Engineering Physics?

Engineering Physics is an interdisciplinary field that combines principles of physics and engineering to solve real-world problems. It focuses on the application of physics concepts to design and develop new technologies and devices.

2. What skills do I need to have for a major in Engineering Physics?

To succeed in Engineering Physics, you should have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. You should also possess critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills, as well as a strong interest in both physics and engineering.

3. What career opportunities are available with a degree in Engineering Physics?

Graduates with a degree in Engineering Physics have a wide range of career opportunities in various industries, including aerospace, energy, biotechnology, and telecommunications. Some common job titles include research scientist, design engineer, systems engineer, and technical consultant.

4. Is Engineering Physics a good major for someone who wants to go to graduate school?

Yes, Engineering Physics is an excellent major for students who are interested in pursuing a graduate degree. The rigorous coursework and hands-on experience in research and design will prepare you for advanced studies in fields such as engineering, physics, or applied science.

5. What makes Engineering Physics different from other engineering majors?

Engineering Physics is distinct from other engineering majors because it focuses on the fundamental principles of physics and their applications in engineering. This major provides a strong theoretical and practical foundation in both disciplines, making it a versatile and highly sought-after degree in the job market.