Would I be able to do this as a non-research professor or teacher?

In summary: So they teach 8 classes per year and get paid for 9 months of work.In summary, the person is considering becoming a community college professor to have summers off and potentially teach in inner city or overseas areas. However, there is a possibility that they may still have to teach summer classes, and if they are an adjunct professor, it may affect their earnings. The person suggests that teaching high school may be a better option for securing a job in their desired location.
Hodgey8806
One of my primary motivations for moving to teaching is that my summers would be "open". One of my goals would be to spend my summer months either in inner city or overseas areas teaching underprivileged students. I really don't want to teach high due to politics and the terrible education system. I'd prefer to be a community college professor and once the semester is over, I would ideally work with an organization to go overseas and teach for the summer.

My question is, would this be doable, or am I sold on a false idea that summer months are free?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You might get summers off as a full time community college prof. You might also be expected to teach summer classes; I don't know.

If you want to teach and have summers off, just teach high school. You'll have a MUCH better chance of actually securing a job in a location that you want. My two cents.

If you are doing adjunct work like the majority of community college professors, then you can have any semester you want off but it will impact your earnings. If you have a high adjunct salary, say 3k per class, teaching 3 classes a semester will net you ~18k with no benefits. If that's enough for you, you can then take the summer off.

The rare full time community college professors I know teach over the summer. Usually their teaching loads are something like three classes during fall and spring and two during the summer.

1. Can I still conduct research as a non-research professor or teacher?

Yes, you can still conduct research as a non-research professor or teacher. While your primary role may be teaching, many academic institutions encourage and support their faculty to engage in research projects.

2. What opportunities are available for non-research professors or teachers to engage in research?

There are various opportunities for non-research professors or teachers to engage in research, such as collaborating with other faculty members, mentoring undergraduate or graduate students in research projects, and applying for research grants or funding.

3. Will I receive recognition for my research as a non-research professor or teacher?

Yes, you will receive recognition for your research as a non-research professor or teacher. Publications, conference presentations, and grants are all ways to showcase your research and contribute to your professional development and career advancement.

4. How can I balance teaching and research responsibilities as a non-research professor or teacher?

Balancing teaching and research responsibilities can be challenging, but it is possible. Time management, setting priorities, and effective communication with colleagues and students can help you achieve a balance between your teaching and research duties.

5. Are there any benefits to being a non-research professor or teacher rather than a research professor?

There are several benefits to being a non-research professor or teacher, such as having a more flexible schedule, a lighter workload, and a greater focus on teaching and mentoring students. Additionally, non-research professors or teachers may have more opportunities for collaboration and interdisciplinary work.