Would I be able to do this as a non-research professor or teacher?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hodgey8806
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Professor Teacher
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Hodgey8806
Messages
140
Reaction score
3
One of my primary motivations for moving to teaching is that my summers would be "open". One of my goals would be to spend my summer months either in inner city or overseas areas teaching underprivileged students. I really don't want to teach high due to politics and the terrible education system. I'd prefer to be a community college professor and once the semester is over, I would ideally work with an organization to go overseas and teach for the summer.

My question is, would this be doable, or am I sold on a false idea that summer months are free?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You might get summers off as a full time community college prof. You might also be expected to teach summer classes; I don't know.

If you want to teach and have summers off, just teach high school. You'll have a MUCH better chance of actually securing a job in a location that you want. My two cents.
 
If you are doing adjunct work like the majority of community college professors, then you can have any semester you want off but it will impact your earnings. If you have a high adjunct salary, say 3k per class, teaching 3 classes a semester will net you ~18k with no benefits. If that's enough for you, you can then take the summer off.

The rare full time community college professors I know teach over the summer. Usually their teaching loads are something like three classes during fall and spring and two during the summer.