Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Would this wheel spin from magnetic force?

1. Jun 27, 2011 #1
    Recently I was thinking random thoughts and thought to myself, if there was a windmill like wheel with powerful magnets on each blade, would it spin? Here is a poorly drawn picture to help explain myself:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/191/magneticwheel.png/ [WARNING -- a user has reported that this link freezes his browser. --bcrowell]

The N's and S's are representing the different poles. Excuse my poor paintdrawing skills... lol paint is difficult to be precise in :P

Anyway, i'm pretty sure it wouldn't spin(it doesn't seem likely), but can any of you think of a structure that would spin? This sort of stuff interests me. Thanks :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2011 #2
    clicking that link gave me a forced Mac modal-box pop-up blurb. Had to restart browser. Just saying.

4. Jun 28, 2011 #3

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Hi ShaneD, welcome to PF!

You can certainly put magnets on a rotor and make it spin, that is what an electric motor does. Of course, you obviously also have to create a field outside of the rotor to push it. That assembly is called the stator.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook