1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Write an expression involving an improper integral

1. Apr 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    AN object moving along a curve in the xy-plane is at position (x(t),y(t)) at time t, where

dx/dt=Arcsin(1-2*e^(-t)) and dy/dt= 4t/(1+t^3)

for t>or= 0. At time t=2, the object is at the point (6,-3).

a. Let m(t) denote the slope of the line tangent to the curve at the point (x(t),y(t)). Write an expression for m(t) in terms of t and use it to evaluate lim m(t) as t approaches infinity.

b. The graph of the the curve has a horizontal asymptote y=c. Write an expression involving an improper integral that represents this value c

2. Relevant equations

None

3. The attempt at a solution

a. So I got m(t)= 4t/ (1+t^3)*Arcsin(1-2*e^(-t)). Then will my limit be 0 ?

b. Will the expression be: c= integral ( (dy/dt) / (dx/dt)) from 0 to infinity ??

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2009 #2
    M(t) is (dy/dt)/(dx/dt), right? Not (dy/dt)*(dx/dt). And the limit will be 0.

To see the "end behavior" of the y values, find limit of y(t) as t -> inf.

Hint: To get y(t) you need to integrate dy/dt with respect to t, or at least write it as a function involving an integral (don't forget to find the constant of integration using the given point.)

4. Apr 14, 2009 #3
    Thanks. Yeah, that's what I mean, I forgot the parentheses.

For part d, will it be y= integral (dy/dt dt) from 0 to infinity ??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook