Write equation given roots

• MHB
  • Thread starter abbarajum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Roots
In summary, a problem was given where the roots of a quadratic function were known and the task was to write the function using only integer coefficients. The equation obtained so far is f(x) = 5(x^2) + 2x + (3/5), obtained by using the sum and product of the roots. There is a question about whether the constant term, 3/5, should be considered a coefficient and if completing the square should be used to rewrite the equation. Another solution for the equation is x^2 - (2/5)x + (3/25). It is possible to multiply the equation by 5 again to get f(x) = (1/25)(25x^2 - 10
abbarajum
Hi everyone.

I was given a problem in which the roots of a quadratic function were given. Using those roots, I had to write the quadratic function, with integer coeffecients only.

The roots were: (-1+ (sqrt -2))/5 and its conjugate.

The equation I have so far is: f(x) = 5(x^2) + 2x + (3/5)

I used the sum and the product of roots to get this. My question is this. Is the constant term (3/5) considered a coeffecient? I ask this because I am not sure how to get all of these numbers to be integers. If it is considered a coeffecient, then should I use completing the square to rewrite the equation?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
abbarajum said:
Hi everyone.

I was given a problem in which the roots of a quadratic function were given. Using those roots, I had to write the quadratic function, with integer coeffecients only.

The roots were: (-1+ (sqrt -2))/5 and its conjugate.

The equation I have so far is: f(x) = 5(x^2) + 2x + (3/5)

I used the sum and the product of roots to get this. My question is this. Is the constant term (3/5) considered a coeffecient? I ask this because I am not sure how to get all of these numbers to be integers. If it is considered a coeffecient, then should I use completing the square to rewrite the equation?

How did you get that equation? When I worked it out I got \(\displaystyle x^2 - \dfrac{2}{5}x + \dfrac{3}{25}\).

What you've done means the 5 is only distributed to the \(\displaystyle x^2\) instead the whole equation - a good way to check your work is to work out if the solution to the equation is what you started with

The constant term can be considered a coefficient (of \(\displaystyle x^0\)). Can you not multiply through by 5 again to give you: \(\displaystyle f(x) = \dfrac{1}{25}(25x^2-10x+3)\)

1. What does it mean to "write an equation given roots"?

Writing an equation given roots means finding an algebraic expression that represents a polynomial with the specified roots. The roots of a polynomial are the values of the variable that make the polynomial equal to zero.

2. How do you write an equation given roots?

To write an equation given roots, you need to use the fact that the roots of a polynomial are the values of the variable that make the polynomial equal to zero. You can then use the roots to create factors of the polynomial and write it in factored form. Finally, you can multiply the factors together to get the complete equation.

3. Can an equation have multiple sets of roots?

Yes, an equation can have multiple sets of roots. This means that there are multiple values of the variable that make the polynomial equal to zero. Each set of roots will result in a different equation.

4. How do you find the roots of a polynomial?

To find the roots of a polynomial, you can use methods such as factoring, the quadratic formula, or synthetic division. The method used will depend on the degree of the polynomial and the available information.

5. Why is it important to write an equation given roots?

Writing an equation given roots is important because it allows you to easily solve for the variable and find the solutions to the polynomial. It also helps in graphing the polynomial and understanding its behavior. Additionally, it is a common skill used in many areas of mathematics and science.