1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Write the parametric equation of the line

1. Oct 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given a + b + c = 7, find a, b and c such that the point (a,b,c) lies on the line passing through the points (3,-4,0) and (2,-2,3)

a =
    b =
    c =

2. Relevant equations

None

3. The attempt at a solution

My instructor didn't go through this portion and I was wondering if I could get a little help.
    The way I understand the question is that there is a point between (3,-4,0) and (2,-2,3), such that they equal 7. I'm not sure how to go about this question.

Any hints?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Re: Vectors

If you meant ax+by+cz=7 and you want to find a,b,c such that (3,-4,0) and (2,-2,3) lie on this plane, then what would happen if you substituted a point (x0,y0,z0) which lies on the plane, into the equation of the plane?

4. Oct 24, 2009 #3

Hmm but I typed the question exactly the way it is.

And I'm not sure what you mean by substituting (x0,y0,z0)
    into the equation of the plane.

5. Oct 24, 2009 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Write the parametric equation of the line, so you have expressions for x, y, and z in terms of t. Then set x + y + z = 7, figure out t and hence the required point.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook