Finding a parametric form and calculating line integrals.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the parametric form for a straight line from the point r = ^i to the point r = 2j - k, as well as calculating line integrals for a given vector field. The solution involves finding the vector dr and making a drawing to help with solving the problem.
YogiBear

Homework Statement

Let C be the straight line from the point r =^i to the point r = 2j - k
Find a parametric form for C. And calculate the line integrals ∫cV*dr and ∫c*v x dr where v = xi-yk. and is a vector field

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For parametric form (1-t)i + (2*t)j - t k
For second part i need help

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Yogi, welcome (belated) to PF :smile: !

So you have ##\vec v = x \hat \imath - y \hat k## and need ##\vec {dr}##, right ?

The path is from (1,0,0) to (0,2,1) , starts at t = 0 and ends at t = 1 in the parametric form. What would be ##\vec {dr}## ?

When I think over what to do for this one, I make a little drawing and check

Likes YogiBear
Thank you solved, it. <3

1. What is a parametric form?

A parametric form is a way of representing a curve or surface using a set of parameters. These parameters can be varied to create different points on the curve or surface.

2. How do you find the parametric form of a curve?

To find the parametric form of a curve, you will need to identify the variables or parameters that can describe the curve. These variables can be represented by a set of equations, which can then be used to plot points on the curve.

3. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integral that calculates the total value of a function along a given curve. It is used to determine the work done or the amount of a physical quantity that flows along a curve.

4. How do you calculate a line integral?

To calculate a line integral, you will first need to have a parametric form of the curve and a function that you want to integrate. Then, you will need to evaluate the integral using the parametric equations for the curve.

5. What are some real-life applications of line integrals?

Line integrals have various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. Some examples include calculating the work done by a force along a curved path, finding the circulation of a fluid in a closed loop, and determining the mass of an object by integrating its density function along a curve.