1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Writing cotangent in terms of cosinehow?

1. Feb 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How can I write cos(x) in terms of cot(x)? I tried using the pythagorean identities and fundamental identities but still cannot figure it out.
    The answer must start as the following: cosine(x)=.....

2. Relevant equations
    All the trig identies. I think it wants me to use the fundamental ones but Im not sure thats possible
    http://www.sosmath.com/trig/Trig5/trig5/trig5.html

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that cotangent=cos/sin but I need it to only be in terms of cosine which seems impossible to me because I've tried everything. Also, I do believe it is okay to use cot^2(x) with the pythagorean identities.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Which do you want to do - write cos(x) in terms of cot(x), or cot(x) in terms of cos(x)? Your title and problem statement are at odds. Assuming it's the latter,
    cot(x) = cos(x)/sin(x), and sin2(x) = 1 - cos2(x), hence sin(x) = +/-sqrt(1 - cos2(x)).

4. Feb 1, 2010 #3
    I want to express cosine in terms of cotangent. Cosine is y and cotangent is x, so I want to express y in terms of x
    sounds confusing which is why I am having trouble with it

5. Feb 1, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

cos(x) = [cos(x)/sin(x)]*sin(x) = cot(x)*sin(x) = cot(x) * 1/csc(x)

Now use the identity that cot2(x) = 1 - csc2(x), solving for csc2(x) first, and then csc(x). Use that to replace 1/csc(x) in the formula above. That will give you cos(x) in terms of cot(x).

6. Feb 1, 2010 #5
    i thought 1/csc is equal to sin? and 1/sec= cos. and cosine is what im trying to use.

maybe i am reading your post wrong...

7. Feb 1, 2010 #6
    oh and i see how you may be confused, the title of the thread is wrong. sorry

i need cosine in terms of cotangent

8. Feb 1, 2010 #7

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Yes but Mark is telling you to use an identity that involves csc(x) and cot(x). See if you can complete where he was leading you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook