Writing decimal radians in terms of Pi

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 118K views
Matty R
Messages
83
Reaction score
0
Hello :smile:

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I don't know where else to put it.

Is there a way to write radians as decimals in terms of Pi?

I'm currently doing Polar Coordinates with Argand Diagrams, and this is something I'm curious about.

I've just done a question and come out with -0.983 rad. We've left it in decimal form in lectures, but I was just curious to know how I'd go about writing it in terms of Pi.

[tex]45\deg = 0.785 = \frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]

[tex]-56.34\deg = -0.983= \frac{?}{?}[/tex]

Anyone know?

Also, I've always had trouble with angles. Calculus? Love it. Trig? Huh!

Thanks
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Matty R said:
We've left it in decimal form in lectures, but I was just curious to know how I'd go about writing it in terms of Pi.
So, you have an equation with an unknown? Why can't you solve it?
 
Thanks for the replies. :smile:

elibj123 said:
[tex]-56.34 deg=\frac{-56.34}{180} \pi[/tex]

I'd never thought of doing that. I'm actually a bit worried now. I should have known that by now.

Would you happen to know how to convert the -0.983 directly in terms of Pi, without using degrees at any point?

I'm starting to recognise angles in decimal radians, so I figure it would be good to know (and understand) what they are in terms of Pi.

I've just got these from further questions:

[tex]1.047 = \frac{\pi}{3}[/tex]

[tex]0.707 = \frac{?}{?}[/tex]

I've seen the second one before, but I can't remember what it is in terms of Pi.



Hurkyl said:
So, you have an equation with an unknown? Why can't you solve it?

I'm really sorry, but I don't know what you mean. I can do the questions as I've been shown in lectures. I'm asking about this "conversion" to mostly satisfy my own curiosity. :smile:
 
Matty R said:
...

Would you happen to know how to convert the -0.983 directly in terms of Pi, without using degrees at any point?

...

Assuming you mean "in terms of Pi radians", I guess you're looking for x*Pi = -0.983, which is straightforward algebra. This gives you about -0.313Pi.
 
[tex]0.707 \, \text{rad}=x\, \pi \,rad[/tex]

Divide both sides by [itex]\pi[/itex] radians:

[tex]\frac{0.707}{\pi}=x[/tex]
 
Hello Matty R! :smile:

(have a pi: π and a degree: º :wink:)
Matty R said:
… I've just done a question and come out with -0.983 rad. We've left it in decimal form in lectures, but I was just curious to know how I'd go about writing it in terms of Pi.

You wouldn't! :smile:

Just leave it in radians …

why do you think you need to change it? :wink:
 
Matty R said:
[tex]0.707 = \frac{?}{?}[/tex]

I've seen the second one before, but I can't remember what it is in terms of Pi.

Yes, you most likely saw this one from [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex] :smile:
 
And tiny-tim has a point. You wouldn't change it in terms of [itex]\pi[/itex] because your answer is obviously approximated and most likely since you had to approximate the answer, it's not going to be a nice fractional radian value such as [itex]\pi/4[/itex] etc.
 
Matty R said:
[tex]0.707 = \frac{?}{?}[/tex]
Mentallic said:
Yes, you most likely saw this one from [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex] :smile:

Yes, 0.707 = cos(π/4) = sin(π/4). :wink:
 
Wow. Thanks for all the replies. :smile:

I think I see where I got a bit confused. I thought everything could be written in terms of Pi, but its the fractions like [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt2}[/tex] that I need to be looking at.

I am so bad with angles. Getting better though. :smile:

I love this site.

Thank you all very much. :smile:
 
Matty R said:
I think I see where I got a bit confused. I thought everything could be written in terms of Pi, but its the fractions like [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt2}[/tex] that I need to be looking at.

Anything can be written in terms of [itex]\pi[/itex], if you like:

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\,\text{rad}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \cdot \frac{\pi}{\pi}\,\text{rad}\approx 0.225 \pi \, \text{rad} \approx 0.707 \, \text{rad}[/tex]

Whether you want to just depends on what's most useful or convenient or meaningful, or what kind of answer gives most insight.