1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Writing out the span of this polynomial vector space?

1. Oct 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problems states "All polynomials of the form p(t)= at^2, where a is in R."
    I'm supposed to see if it is a subspace of Pn. I've already done that but the book's answer is that it spans Pn by Theorem 1, because the set is span{t^2}
    2. Relevant equations

Theorem states "1 If v1....vp are in a vector space V , then Span {v1.... vp.} is a subspace of V ."

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've already checked the three properties showing that it is a subspace of P2.
    I checked that it was closed under addition and scalar multiplication as well as containing the zero vector. But im not clear how the book comes up with the span{t^2} part? If im correct would the reason be that since a is already a scalar then t^2 is the part that generates the vectors in P2.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi halo31! :smile:
    yes … the definition of eg span{P,Q,R} is all elements of the form aP + bQ + cR

when there's only one element in the original set eg span{P}, that's just all elements of the form aP

here, P = t2 :wink:

4. Oct 13, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I recommend that you go back and look at the basic definitions. The set of all polynomials of the form [itex]ax^2[/itex] is a vector space because
    1) the 0 polynomial is of this form with a= 0.
    2) the product of a real number, p, with such a polynomial is of this form: [itex]p(ax^2)= (ap)x^2[/itex] which is of that form with a replaced by ap.
    3) the sum of two such polynomials, [itex]ax^2[/itex], [itex]bx^2[/itex] is of the same form- [itex]ax^2+ bx^2= (a+ b)x^2[/itex].
    4) the "additive inverse" of [itex]ax^2[/itex] is [itex]-ax^2= (-a)x^2[/itex] which is again of that form.

A basis for a vector space is a set of vectors that both span the space and are independent. Every vector in this space can be written as [itex]ax^2= (a)x^2[/itex] so that each vector is a linear combination (actually a multiple) of [itex]x^2[/itex] so [itex]\{x^2\}[/itex] alone spans the space. And, of course, a set consisting of a single non-zero vector is always independent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook