WSJ and the stuff of legends

• Thread starter siddharth
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a graph on the WSJ website that shows the Laffer Curve, which implies that tax revenues hit zero at a corporate tax rate of 33% and become negative after that. The conversation also mentions the use of advanced statistical software to fit the curve and makes a joke about it being done in MS Paint. The participants also discuss the irony of the curve being named after Laffer and make a comment about outliers.
siddharth
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Take a look at http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB118428874152665452-lMyQjAxMDE3ODE0MzIxODM4Wj.html" on the WSJ, and especially the graph.

Somebody has slept through a linear regression class :rofl: :rofl:

(via http://cosmicvariance.com/2007/07/13/the-best-curve-fitting-ever/" and )
Among other features, we note with amusement that the plotted curve implies that tax revenues hit zero at a corporate tax rate of about 33%, and become dramatically negative thereafter. As of this writing, it is unclear what advanced statistical software package was used to fit the Laffer Curve to the data; the smart money seems to be on MS Paint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That is pretty sad. Even though I may not agree with certain sentiments they say about supply side economics, they have an excellent point about this idiocy. Do you think these people know what an outlier is?

Is there a coincidence that the curve is called the "Laffer" curve? I'm laughing.

I am disappointed to see such a lack of scientific rigor and accuracy in the graph presented in the WSJ article. It is clear that the author of the article has not fully understood the concept of linear regression and the limitations of using a single data point to fit a curve.

The Laffer Curve has been a topic of debate among economists for decades, and there is no clear consensus on its validity. However, to use a single data point and a questionable curve fitting method to make claims about the relationship between tax rates and revenue is not only misleading but also unscientific.

It is important for media outlets like the WSJ to present accurate and reliable information, especially when it comes to complex economic and political issues. As scientists, it is our responsibility to critically analyze and question the information presented to us, and to educate others about the importance of using sound scientific methods in data analysis and interpretation.

In the future, I hope to see more accurate and scientifically sound reporting on such important issues. As for the use of MS Paint as a statistical software package, I can only hope that this was meant as a joke and not a serious attempt at data analysis.

1. What is WSJ and the stuff of legends?

WSJ and the stuff of legends is a reference to The Wall Street Journal (WSJ) and its coverage of legendary or iconic stories, events, and individuals in the business world.

2. How does WSJ cover legendary stories?

WSJ covers legendary stories by providing in-depth analysis, interviews, and investigative reporting. They also use multimedia elements such as videos and infographics to enhance the storytelling.

3. Can I access WSJ's coverage of legendary stories online?

Yes, WSJ's coverage of legendary stories is available online through their website and mobile app. However, some articles may be behind a paywall and require a subscription to access.

4. What makes a story or individual worthy of being covered by WSJ as a "legend"?

WSJ determines what stories or individuals are considered "legends" based on their impact on the business world and society as a whole. This can include their success, innovation, and influence in their respective industries.

5. Does WSJ only cover positive or successful legends?

No, WSJ covers a variety of legends, both positive and negative. Their goal is to provide unbiased and accurate coverage of the business world, including the successes and failures of legendary individuals and companies.

Back