1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

X^2 + 5x + 25/4 is a perfect square trinomial?

1. Feb 21, 2012 #1
    In my pre-calculus math class right now we are learning how to convert the standard form of a quadratic equation to general form. There are just some questions that are about filling in the missing number to make the equation, what I assume to be, a perfect square trinomial. Is that what the question is asking?

The textbook gives the answer as being 25/4. I have no idea how I would go about accomplishing that.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2) Find a number that makes the expression a perfect square of the form (x+h)^2.

e) x2 + 5x + __

3. The attempt at a solution
    I would think that I would have to find a perfect square whose root adds to 5 when multiplied by two. And I can not think of any such number.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello EricPowell. Welcome to PF !

Where did you get the 25/4 that's in the title of this thread?

4. Feb 21, 2012 #3
    NEVERMIND
    Well now I feel silly...I never thought of thinking of 5/2 as being half of 5. 5/22 is 25/4.
    :grumpy:

Thank you for your efforts to help me though!

5. Feb 21, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

And you want to write that as (5/2)2, not 5/22, which is equal to 5/4.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook