X^2 + 5x + 25/4 is a perfect square trinomial?

• Thread starter EricPowell
  • Start date
In my pre-calculus math class right now we are learning how to convert the standard form of a quadratic equation to general form. There are just some questions that are about filling in the missing number to make the equation, what I assume to be, a perfect square trinomial. Is that what the question is asking?

The textbook gives the answer as being 25/4. I have no idea how I would go about accomplishing that.

Homework Statement

2) Find a number that makes the expression a perfect square of the form (x+h)^2.

e) x2 + 5x + __

The Attempt at a Solution

I would think that I would have to find a perfect square whose root adds to 5 when multiplied by two. And I can not think of any such number.

Answers and Replies

SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
In my pre-calculus math class right now we are learning how to convert the standard form of a quadratic equation to general form. There are just some questions that are about filling in the missing number to make the equation, what I assume to be, a perfect square trinomial. Is that what the question is asking?

The textbook gives the answer as being 25/4. I have no idea how I would go about accomplishing that.

Homework Statement

2) Find a number that makes the expression a perfect square of the form (x+h)^2.

e) x2 + 5x + __

The Attempt at a Solution

I would think that I would have to find a perfect square whose root adds to 5 when multiplied by two. And I can not think of any such number.
Hello EricPowell. Welcome to PF !

Where did you get the 25/4 that's in the title of this thread?

NEVERMIND
Well now I feel silly...I never thought of thinking of 5/2 as being half of 5. 5/22 is 25/4.
:grumpy:

Thank you for your efforts to help me though!

NEVERMIND
Well now I feel silly...I never thought of thinking of 5/2 as being half of 5. 5/22 is 25/4.
:grumpy:

Thank you for your efforts to help me though!
And you want to write that as (5/2)2, not 5/22, which is equal to 5/4.