1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

X and Y components

1. Jun 1, 2013 #1
    Being asked for the sum of forces in the X and Y directions and the axis are set up 'normally' so like a plus sign ( + ).

I attempted the first one and I think I did it correctly, but I'm not so sure about the second one.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2013 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The first one is fine. Where's your work on the second one?

Note: While a diagram is useful for reference, please type up your work right here in the thread. That helps people give you better help.

Please see: How to Ask for Help

4. Jun 1, 2013 #3
    So I was looking through my notes, and I saw the equation Vx = Vcosθ and Vy = Vsinθ.

I'm not sure though that this is where i can put these equations to use, since i don't know the value of V. In looking at the angles, F1 is 60° from the x-axis going counterclockwise. I'm lost in more of how to put the information I do know together.

5. Jun 1, 2013 #4

Doc Al

That's how you'd find the x and y components of some vector V, where θ is the angle made with the +x axis.

According to the diagram, it would be F1.

F1 is 60° below the negative x axis. So will the x-component of F1 be negative or positive?

6. Jun 1, 2013 #5
    If the x-component is below the negative x axis i would think that that component would be negative. But using those equations I think I've determined the answer.

F1x=F1cos60°
    F1y=F1sin30°

I broke this down by drawing out the picture of the triangle somewhat given and by finding the f1x and f1y components and plugging those into the equations I had.

7. Jun 1, 2013 #6

Doc Al

Looks OK except for the signs.

8. Jun 1, 2013 #7
    In question with the signs, would the x-component be negative because it is technically below the F1 and the y-component positive because it is technically above the F1?

9. Jun 1, 2013 #8

Doc Al

Hint: Redraw the vector F1 so its tail is at the point of application. Or at least imagine a set of axes with the origin at the tail of F1. That will make it easier to see the signs of the components.

The x-component of F1 is negative since F1 points to the left of the vertical axis.

The y-component of F1 is negative since F1 points below the horizontal axis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted