1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

X and Y identically distributed implies E(X) = E(Y) and var(X) = var(Y)

1. Oct 13, 2009 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex](S, \Sigma, P)[/itex] be a probability space. Let X and Y be two random variables on S that satisfy [itex]P \circ X^{-1} = P \circ Y^{-1}[/itex] (i.e. they are identically distributed) and such that E(X), E(Y), var(X) and var(Y) exist and are finite. Prove that E(X) = E(Y) and var(X) = var(Y).

The attempt at a solution
    I can only think of proving this the long and tedious way: first when X and Y are simple, then for X and Y bounded, then for X and Y nonnegative, and then finally for X and Y integrable. Is there an easier way?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2009 #2
    Can you easily show X and Y have the same cdf? Then do you have a definition for E[X^n] in terms of the cdf of X?

4. Oct 15, 2009 #3
    They do have the same CDF but I don't have a definition of E[Xn] in terms of the CDF of X. All I know is that

[tex]
    E[X^n] = \int_S X^n \, dP
    [/tex]

whenever the integral exists.

5. Oct 15, 2009 #4
    Do you have a theorem saying something like

[tex]\int f\, d(P\circ X^{-1})=\int (f\circ X)\, dP[/tex] ?

If so then you can use f(x)=x, f(x)=x^2, or even f(x)=x^n.

If you don't have such a theorem, you could prove it. I can't see how to avoid some of the "long" method. Maybe it is shorter than you thought. I don't think you have to approximate X and Y, just the two functions f(x)=x and f(x)=x^2. If you just want to do those two cases, use (or imagine using) a specific sequence of simple (step, in fact) functions.

Maybe you can get away with observing that for [tex]f= \chi_E[/tex] we have [tex]\chi_E\circ X=\chi_{X^{-1}(E)}[/tex], and then saying a magic phrase like "the result follows by linear combinations and limits." Probably not. I think it might be worth writing it out, just to verify my claim that X and Y don't need to be approximated.

6. Oct 15, 2009 #5
    I don't know of such a theorem. I'll try to prove that though (seems interesting).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook