Is there a general equation for finding pth powers when p is greater than 2?

• Thread starter Russell E. Rierson
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a general equation for Y > X and provides several examples to show its validity for different values of p. The equation is also proven to be true using Fermat's little theorem. There is some discussion about Russell's writing and the clarity of his explanations. Finally, it is stated that the equation is not a "pth" power for p > 2.
Russell E. Rierson
A general equation for Y > X :

X^p + p*M + [Y-X] = Y^p

3^3 + 3*12 + 1 = 4^3

3^3 + 3*32 + 2 = 5^3

3^3 + 3*62 + 3 = 6^3

3^3 + 3*104 + 4 = 7^3

3^3 + 3*160 + 5 = 8^3

3^3 + 3*232 + 6 = 9^3

[...]
4^3 + 3*20 + 1 = 5^3

4^3 + 3*50 + 2 = 6^3

4^3 + 3*92 + 3 = 7^3

4^3 + 3*148 + 4 = 8^3

4^3 + 3*220 + 5 = 9^3

[...]

X^p + p*M + N = Y^p

It also works for p = 2,5,7, etc...?

3^2 + 2*3 + 1 = 4^2

3^2 + 2*7 + 2 = 5^2

3^2 + 2*12 + 3 = 6^2

3^2 + 2*18 + 4 = 7^2

[...]

4^5 + 5*420 + 1 = 5^5

4^5 + 5*1350 + 2 = 6^5

4^5 + 5*3156 + 3 = 7^5

[...]

X^p + p*M + [Y - X] = Y^p

Physics news on Phys.org
Correct me if I am wrong, but to prove that you need to show that for y > x that p is a factor of [itex]y^p - y - x^p + x[/itex]. I don't know how to do that, but perhaps you do.

Don't you? You just pick examples where it's true and don't bother about the obvious fact it's false.

matt grime said:
Don't you? You just pick examples where it's true and don't bother about the obvious fact it's false.
Really? I've not got something on me where I can easily write a program to find a counter example but running a few million values through Excel I can't find one.

actually, I'm doing a slight disservice there, since fermat's little theorem gives you that it is always true. i got carried away with the fact it was something russell wrote and was probably either trivial or false. had i looked more closely i'd have realized it was the first of those. if he ever actually explained using words what he meant he might be clearer

Last edited:
matt grime said:
actually, I'm doing a slight disservice there, since fermat's little theorem gives you that it is always true. i got carried away with the fact it was something russell wrote and was probably either trivial or false. had i looked more closely i'd have realized it was the first of those. if he ever actually explained using words what he meant he might be clearer

X^p + p*M + [Y-X] = Y^p

Y^p - X^p = p*M + [Y-X]

p*M + [Y-X]

is not a "pth" power for p > 2

Russell E. Rierson said:
X^p + p*M + [Y-X] = Y^p

Y^p - X^p = p*M + [Y-X]

p*M + [Y-X]

is not a "pth" power for p > 2
Eh? Matt said Fermat's little theorem not Fermat's last theorem.

Related to Is there a general equation for finding pth powers when p is greater than 2?

1. What is the meaning of the equation "X^p + p*M + [Y-X] = Y^p"?

This equation is an algebraic expression that represents a relationship between the variables X and Y. The symbol "^" indicates exponentiation, "p" and "M" are constants, and "[Y-X]" represents the difference between Y and X. The equation states that the sum of X raised to the power of p, plus p multiplied by M, plus the difference between Y and X, is equal to Y raised to the power of p.

2. What types of problems can be solved using this equation?

This equation can be used to solve problems involving power functions, where one variable is raised to a certain power and then combined with other terms. It can also be used to model relationships between variables in various scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, and biology.

3. How can this equation be manipulated to solve for a specific variable?

To solve for a specific variable, you can rearrange the equation using algebraic principles. For example, if you want to solve for X, you can subtract p*M from both sides, then take the p-th root of both sides to isolate X.

4. What are the limitations of this equation?

This equation has limitations in that it can only be used to solve problems involving power functions. It may also have limited applicability in certain real-world situations, as it is a simplified representation of more complex relationships between variables.

5. Can this equation be applied to real-life scenarios?

Yes, this equation can be applied to real-life scenarios where relationships between variables can be described using power functions. For example, it could be used to model population growth, radioactive decay, or the spread of infectious diseases.