1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

X-ray diffraction: history and theory

1. Nov 2, 2011 #1
    I'm looking for a book that might teach me how to read diffraction patterns and infer structure. I'm also interested in the history of the technique. This is mainly so I can explain it with confidence to high school students and college freshmen as a teacher.

I feel like I never really went into detail with this in my undergrad degree (astronomy/physics) but it crops up in a lot of intro texts across the science disciplines.

I'm sure I can tackle anything below the graduate level, and am willing to attempt lower/intro grad level treatments if you think a certain author is particularly worthwhile.

Ideally I suppose the book would also include other techniques like field emission microscopy in its historical treatment. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2011 #2
    Surprised no one has recommendations for this. How about a solid state text with a good treatment of this?

4. Nov 9, 2011 #3
    It would be easier to get more recommendations if you ask for separate books.
    As for the history part, it should suffice to read it up on the web.

Regarding the technical part, a quick search on Amazon.com turned up the following:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/search/re...77&h=29e750897374e5c922c50a2b226ea444978e3441

There seems to be many detailed texts on the topic.

5. Nov 9, 2011 #4
    Hello, thanks for responding. I was aware of the multitude of books out there, and that's kind of the problem. I was just looking for specific recommendations of good ones. This forum usually has recommendations that I end up being very pleased with. Granted, they somewhat follow the "star" ratings on amazon as you listed, but not always.

6. Nov 9, 2011 #5

uby

Cullity and Stock is very accessible. I've heard rumblings that there are problems with the newest edition, though I wouldn't know firsthand since I still use the older one.

7. Nov 16, 2011 #6
    Thank you, the first half of this was exactly what I was looking for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook