• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

X-ray diffraction: history and theory

• Thread starter mishima
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I'm looking for a book that might teach me how to read diffraction patterns and infer structure. I'm also interested in the history of the technique. This is mainly so I can explain it with confidence to high school students and college freshmen as a teacher.

I feel like I never really went into detail with this in my undergrad degree (astronomy/physics) but it crops up in a lot of intro texts across the science disciplines.

I'm sure I can tackle anything below the graduate level, and am willing to attempt lower/intro grad level treatments if you think a certain author is particularly worthwhile.

Ideally I suppose the book would also include other techniques like field emission microscopy in its historical treatment. Thank you.

Answers and Replies

Surprised no one has recommendations for this. How about a solid state text with a good treatment of this?

Hello, thanks for responding. I was aware of the multitude of books out there, and that's kind of the problem. I was just looking for specific recommendations of good ones. This forum usually has recommendations that I end up being very pleased with. Granted, they somewhat follow the "star" ratings on amazon as you listed, but not always.

uby
Cullity and Stock is very accessible. I've heard rumblings that there are problems with the newest edition, though I wouldn't know firsthand since I still use the older one.

Thank you, the first half of this was exactly what I was looking for.