1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

X-ray graph (characteristic X-rays)

1. Oct 21, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    4. On which graph are the characteristic X-rays being portrayed correctly.
    2. Relevant equations
    Slika nove bitne slike.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution
    ok I know that characteristic X-rays happen because the electrons in outer shells move to the lowest possible energy shell and that the change in energy equals the energy of the emited X-rays
    My question now looking at the picture I don't quite know why the graphs D and B are incorrect , I know that A can't be true and that C is the correct answer, but can someone explain to me why D and B are wrong ?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

B has a line where it should not have one.
    D: The energy levels are at high energies and close together which looks suspicious, but I don't think you can clearly rule it out without numbers.

4. Oct 21, 2015 #3
    thanks for the answer
    Yeah that is what I was thinking
    D: is it completely impossible for an atom to emit x rays which are at high energie levels? and does an atom always emit X-rays only at the end part of the graph

5. Oct 22, 2015 #4
    Update : I asked the professor why B could not be the right. his reply was :" B is not the wrong answer C is just more right." and he also said if I had choosen B he would not have marked it as a wrong answer

6. Oct 22, 2015 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Oh, well... fine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted