1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

X-Ray photon/wavelength question

1. Apr 1, 2006 #1
    This is one of the questions on my regular worksheets we have before our tests:

A fast-moving electron travelling through a vacuum tube slams into a piece of steel, coming abruptly to rest and emitting an X-ray photon with an energy of 7.90×10-16 J. What is the wavelength of the photon?

I know I have to find the frequency and speed of the photon in order to find the wavelength. The problem is I do not know how to find either of the two (I had a long day at work so I'm pretty sure I'm just having a brain fart right now). If someone could help point me in the right direction it would be more than appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2006 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Photons always travel at 3x10^8 m/s, the speed of light.

4. Apr 1, 2006 #3

dav2008

Gold Member

For a photon:
    [tex]E=hf[/tex]
    [tex]E=[/tex]Energy of the photon
    [tex]h=[/tex]Planck's Constant
    [tex]f=[/tex]Frequency

and of course for any wave [tex]v=f \lambda[/tex], and like Pengwuin said in the case of photons your velocity is about 3x108 m/s

5. Apr 1, 2006 #4
    Edit: Thank you dav, I thought I was on the right track but you confirmed it. Thanks a bunch guys!

6. Apr 1, 2006 #5
    Okay, I think I had better post again, because something is surely off in what I am doing with this problem. My answer that I got for Frequency was something in the neighborhood of 1.16x10^-50 s, and whenever I plug that into the wavelength equation and solve for wavelength I get the astronomical number of 2.58x10^58 cm/s.

Am I doing this problem right and should be getting a number that high? Or am I off in some of my calculations?

7. Apr 1, 2006 #6

dav2008

Gold Member

Look at the E=hf equation more carefully... I think you multiplied instead of divided.

Also keep in mind that wavelength has dimensions of length.

8. Apr 1, 2006 #7
    to find f I've been putting in f = E/h, which I've been imputting as the energy from the original problem, 7.9 x 10^-16, divided by h, so it looks like 7.9 x 10^-16/6.626 x 10^-34. Is this wrong right here or is my calculator possibly giving me funky numbers for no reason? lol.

9. Apr 1, 2006 #8

dav2008

Gold Member

[tex]\frac {7.9 \cdot 10^{-16}(J)}{6.626 \cdot 10^{-34}(J \cdot s)}[/tex] gives me a frequency of [tex]1.19 \cdot 10^{18} (\frac {1}{s})[/tex].

Last edited: Apr 1, 2006
  10. Apr 1, 2006 #9
    yeah, I realized i was putting something wrong into the equation, so for wavelength I got .252 cm...which corresponds to 2,520,000 nanometers...is this close to being right or am I still screwing something up?

11. Apr 1, 2006 #10

dav2008

Gold Member

You divided 3x108m/s by 1.19x1018 1/s and got .00252 meters?

Check your calculations.

12. Apr 1, 2006 #11
    Okay, I redid everything and I got 2.521x10^-9 m for the wavelength...I might as well take baby steps since either I or my calculator is screwing up what I type, so is this calculation correct? And if so, to convert it to nanometers I'm supposed to divide by 10^-9 if I'm not mistaken.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?