1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Effect of Change of Potential difference applied to an X-Ray tube

Tags:
  1. Nov 24, 2016 #1
    I am a high school student, so I know only the basics of X-Rays.I simply know about continuous X-rays, cutoff wavelength and threshold wavelength. Now if I increase the potential applied to the X-ray tube, I am certain that the minimum wavelength of emitted radiation decreases. (I say this using λ=hc/eV, which is the Duane-Hunt law)

I am unsure about the intensity of emitted radiation. Does that change?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Is this a general question, or are you working with X-rays in the lab? X-ray safety is an important consideration when working with lab setups.

4. Nov 24, 2016 #3
    As I said, I am in high school. There is no practical use of X-Rays. It is just the theoretical part. Actually, my textbook had a multiple choice question saying

"If we increase potential difference applied to an X-Ray tube, what of the following things will happen with the emitted radiation?
    A. Intensity increases
    B. Intensity decreases
    C. Wavelength increases
    D. Wavelength decreases.

Now, as I mentioned in the Original Post itself, I used the Duane-Hunt Law to mark the answer as D, which is obviously correct. Out of curiosity I wanted to know what would happen with the intensity. Since I myself did not have much knowledge regarding the issue, I decided not to put it under the homework section and just as a general question of Quantum Physics.

5. Nov 24, 2016 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Do you have two threads about this? If so, I can merge them into one thread in the schoolwork forums. We do not allow cross-posting here, and we do not allow schoolwork posts ourtide of the schoolwork forums. Thanks.

6. Nov 24, 2016 #5
    No, I didn't create two threads. Just this one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted