Yarr Need help with a differential equation

In summary, the population of rabbits will be 2x as many one year later because the time rate of change is proportional to the square root of the population.
CaptainJames
Can't get this one to work right. The time rate of change of a rabbit population P is proportional to the square root of P. At time t= 0 (months) the population numbers 100 rabbits and is increasing at the rate of 20 rabbits per month. How many rabits will there be one year later?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oops! Didn't show what I've done. Okay here goes... well first you know that at time t=0 the population is 100 and the rate of change is 20, so k =2.
dP/dt = 2 times square root of p --(is there any way for mathmatical symbols?) so... dP/(k sqaure root of p) = dt

2k square root of p = t + c

square root of p = (t+c)/(2k)

p = ((t+c)/(2k))^2

100 = ((0+c)/4))^2
c=40.
At this point when I try and solve it t isn't in terms of months it's in something i don't know. Anyone know what I did wrong?

Sorry, this is barely readable.. this is my first post, so I'm going to touch it up a bit

Last edited:
your solution method is fine, but I'm getting
[tex] \frac{dP}{\sqrt{P}}=kdt \Rightarrow P(t) = \frac{k^{2}}{4} \left(t+const\right)^{2} [/tex]
from which you may apply the initial conditions to get the constants. hope this helps, sincerely, x

also do you know LaTeX/ TeX type setting? if so click on the image and see how the the text is made, say for this equation above.

Last edited:
Thanks so much! What did I do wrong...?

CaptainJames said:
Thanks so much! What did I do wrong...?
look at your first step. you have the problem set up, but... do you see it?

Oh crap, yea I see it. I said dP/(2k square root of p) = 2k square root of P, instead of 1/2k * square root of P. Thanks for the help :P.

no problem, good work, do you understand how to type set click on my post with the differential equation and note the use of the TeX in the boxes to write equations. in fact if you go to just about any post with equations written like the one above then, if you don't know TeX, you can learn...if you want a way to post formulas and all that is.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves the use of derivatives, which are measures of how a function changes over time or space.

2. Why is solving a differential equation important?

Solving a differential equation is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of systems that change over time or space. This is crucial in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, biology, and economics.

3. How do you solve a differential equation?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, and using special functions like Fourier series. The most appropriate method depends on the type and complexity of the equation.

4. Can differential equations be used to model real-life situations?

Yes, differential equations are commonly used to model real-life situations. They can be used to describe physical phenomena such as motion, population growth, and chemical reactions. They are also used in engineering to design and optimize systems.

5. Are there any software programs for solving differential equations?

Yes, there are several software programs available for solving differential equations. Some popular options include MATLAB, Mathematica, and Maple. These programs use numerical methods to approximate solutions to differential equations.