1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Year 12: Cambridge Physics (Calculus in Specific heat capacity)

1. Jun 4, 2012 #1
    Below 20K, The specific heat capacity c of silver varies with temperature according to the equation[tex]c/\text{J /kg /K} = 1.5x10^{-4}(T/K)^3 + 6.0x10^{-3} T/K[/tex].
    If a small silver sphere of diameter 4am and at 20K is placed in 25g of liquid helium at 4K, what fraction of the liquid will evaporate?
    [Density of silver = 1.05E4 kg/m^3, specific latent heat of vaporisation of helium = 2.1E4 J/kg; boiling point of helium = 4K]

[expand=Attempt] DSC02994.jpg
    DSC02995.jpg
    DSC02996.jpg
    DSC02997.jpg [/expand]
    And I'm stuck. The answer is 1/210. I think my mistake is not considering the "combined effect" (if there's one?) of the silver sphere with the helium liquid, but I'm not very sure how do I express that in mathematical form.
    Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2012 #2
    Solved.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook