1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Yield (ROI = Return Of Investment) formula question

1. Aug 20, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Yield (ROI = Return Of Investment) formula question

The Calculation of simple yield:

The Return*
    (Winnings)
    __________ X 100= ROI (%)

Investment*
    (Stakes)

so for example: I have 1000 bets with odds 2,00
    500 of them are winning and 500 losing. So i am on 0 and my ROI is zero

Would like to get right odds to have 15% yield,
    How to calculate on what odds should i be to have ROI 15% ?
    Because odds are not always 2,00 - they are different but i gave 2,00 as example...

So, i know what are odds to have 0% yield, but would like to get with some formula odds to have 15% yield (ROI)!?

Thanks very much for help!
    Ivica

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2007 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let p = 1/odds be the probability of success, and R = 2 be the amount you win on a success (as a multiple of the amount you put down). Suppose you play n games, where n is large (in your case n = 1000, but it doesn't really matter).

Expected winnings are npR, and expected cost is n. ROI is (npR - n)/n = pR - 1.

If you want ROI to be 0.15, just solve pR - 1 = 0.15. If R is fixed at 2.00, solve 2p - 1 = 0.15.

4. Aug 20, 2007 #3
    Thanks for answering, but I'm not that good in maths, so could you please give me calculation on some example?
    Let's say i have odds of 1,50 (so probability is 66,66%) so to receive odds which would provide us ROI of 15%
    I'm trying to do it into excel formula, but don't understand all what you write...
    so please if you could calculate it step by step... tnx

5. Aug 20, 2007 #4

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In Excel:
    1. Enter R to cell A1
    2. Enter ROI to cell B1
    3. To cell C1, enter formula "= A1/(1 + B1)"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?