1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Young's modulus in microscopic terms

1. Jan 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    By considering the force-separation curve for two adjacent atoms in a solid, f(x), show that the Young’s modulus can be expressed on the microscopic scale as:
    [tex]Y = - \frac{1}{x_0} \frac{df}{dx}\right| |_{x=x_0}[/tex]
    (the | is meant to go allt he way form the top to bottom of df/dx)
    where [tex]x_0[/tex] is the equilibrium seperation of the atoms

2. Relevant equations

[tex]f(x) = - \left(\frac{A}{x}\right)^7 + \left(\frac{B}{x}\right)^{13}[/tex]
    (I'm assuming A and B should be 1 angstrom so 1E-10m)

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]x_0[/tex] is found by doing f(x).dx = 0 to find where f(x) crosses the x axis.
    [tex] E \equiv \frac{\mbox {tensile stress}}{\mbox {tensile strain}} = \frac{\sigma}{\varepsilon}= \frac{F/A_0}{\Delta L/L_0} = \frac{F L_0} {A_0 \Delta L} [/tex]
    Y is the gradient of stress/straing graph

hmmmm
    :(

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2010 #2
    I can't exactly read your equations but a long time ago I remember doing an analysis based on a typical diamond lattice structure whereby you could show that Posson's ration came out correctly ( approximatley 1/3) if you assumed that the bond lengths stayed the same and only the bond angles were deformed.

4. Jan 18, 2010 #3

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What's [itex]E =F L_0/A_0 \Delta L [/itex] in differential form? What's a reasonable estimate for [itex]A_0[/itex] on the atomic scale?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook