Young's Modulus of Pressure Sensor

1. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Here's the question, verbatim;
    We want to build a pressure using a block of elastic material, where the pressure applied to the top surface is measured by a strain gauge mounted on one of the side walls of the block. The gauge factor of the strain gauge is 2.5. When 1 mm Hg of pressure is applied to the top surface, we obtain a delta R/R of 0.01% on the strain gauge. The nominal resistance of the strain gauge is 1000 Ohm.
    (a) What is Young's Modulus of Elasticity (E) for the elastic block?

2. Relevant equations
    Young's Modulus= Stress/ Strain = (F/A) / (delta l/l)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Here the strain can also be given by the formula ((1/F) x delt.R/R), where F is the gauge factor. Plugging numbers in here, I've worked out the strain to be 4 x 10^-5. However, I have no idea what to do next. I'm sure you need area to work out stress. Or would integrating the pressure work, as pressure is dF/dA? But then you would still be left with a variable in the stress result.

Please help! Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. I have this same problem for my assignment and am stuck. i've found out the strain but no idea on working out the stress.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?