Manipulating equation for Young's Modulus and Hooke's Law

So, in summary, the equations k = -YA/L and F = kx are equivalent, with the minus sign indicating opposite directions of force and displacement. The confusion may arise due to the minus sign being omitted when only magnitudes are being compared.
JC2000
Homework Statement
If a metal wire of length L, area of cross-section A and Young's modulus Y, behaves as a spring of spring constant k. Find the value of k.
Relevant Equations
Hooke's Law ##F= -kx## and Young's modulus, defined as ##Y = \frac {F*L}{x*A}##
Equating the two equations gives me ##k = -\frac {YA}{L}## but the correct answer of the same magnitude but opposite sign.

I think the nub of my misunderstanding is quite elementary (who would have guessed!) : When is it ##F=kx## and when is it ##F=-kx##? If I understand correctly, F is the restoring force or the 'stress' and x is the direction of displacement by the force which F opposes(?), thus with the origin at equilibrium (before any forces act), x and F would have opposing signs always?

What have I misunderstood here?
Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The minus sign in Hooke’s Law indicates that the force F and displacement x are in opposite directions. In this problem you’re not interested in the directions, only in the magnitudes, so you can omit the minus sign.

Likes nikilKRP and JC2000

What is Young's Modulus and Hooke's Law?

Young's Modulus is a measure of the stiffness or elasticity of a material. It represents the relationship between stress, which is the force applied to a material, and strain, which is the resulting deformation. Hooke's Law is a principle that states that the amount of deformation of an elastic material is directly proportional to the force applied to it.

How do you manipulate equations for Young's Modulus and Hooke's Law?

To manipulate equations for Young's Modulus and Hooke's Law, you can use algebraic techniques such as rearranging variables, factoring, and substitution. It is important to remember to follow the rules of algebra and maintain balance on both sides of the equation.

What are the common units used for Young's Modulus and Hooke's Law?

The most common unit for Young's Modulus is the pascal (Pa) or its multiples such as kilopascal (kPa) or gigapascal (GPa). For Hooke's Law, the units for stress are typically in pascals (Pa) and for strain, it is unitless.

How can Young's Modulus and Hooke's Law be applied in real-world situations?

You can apply Young's Modulus and Hooke's Law in various engineering fields such as civil, mechanical, and materials engineering. They can be used to determine the strength and stiffness of materials, design structures and machines, and predict the behavior of materials under different stresses and strains.

What are the limitations of Young's Modulus and Hooke's Law?

Young's Modulus and Hooke's Law have limitations in their applicability. They are only valid for materials that exhibit linear elastic behavior, meaning that the amount of deformation is directly proportional to the applied force. They also do not take into account other factors such as temperature, time, and material defects that can affect the behavior of a material.