Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Your hole ends here

1. Oct 2, 2005 #1
    Dig a hole straight down through the earth, with Google Maps.

grad.icmc.usp.br/~cipriani/bighole.php

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2005 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I'd end up in the Pacific, somewhere between New Zealand and Antarctica.

4. Oct 2, 2005 #3
    tried my luck, i ended up in pacific.:grumpy:

5. Oct 2, 2005 #4

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Middle of the Indian Ocean, which is about what I figured. If you live in the Northern Hemisphere, you have very little chance of hitting land.

6. Oct 2, 2005 #5
    Directly in the center of the indian ocean.

7. Oct 2, 2005 #6
    South Pacific here, closer to antarctica than any other land.

8. Oct 2, 2005 #7
    closest to austrailia, but in the pacific... what'd be more useful is if they let us dig hole to anywhere, and then gave us the length of the hole and the angle we have to dig at.

9. Oct 2, 2005 #8
    okay... I did it again and I ended up off the coast of madagasgar... interesting

10. Oct 2, 2005 #9
    I end up square in the middle of the southeastern pacific, maybe about a couple thousand miles off the coast of south america

11. Oct 2, 2005 #10
    A few hundred miles of the new zealand coast, figure i could swim that though.

12. Oct 2, 2005 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Indian ocean...

lol this is hilarious. All those jokes about "tunneling straight to China" don't even make sense anymore! The opposite side of China is in South America

13. Oct 2, 2005 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep, apparently yet another lie perpetuated by my parents! And to think of all that time wasted in the sandbox trying to dig to China. :grumpy:

Edit: I ended up in the Indian Ocean, a bit West of Australia (just a tad southwest of the westernmost projection of Australia).

Those Google images are also a few years out of date! My building is still a dirt lot on the image, and the new buildings behind me are still woods.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2005
  14. Oct 2, 2005 #13

matthyaouw

Gold Member

They probably assumed you'd want to avoid the core.

15. Oct 2, 2005 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I used to mess with the other kids while we were digging the hole, and tell them I could faintly hear people speaking Chinese. :biggrin:

16. Oct 2, 2005 #15

Danger

Gold Member

Doesn't work on my computer. :grumpy:
    I'll have to try at work tomorrow.

17. Oct 2, 2005 #16
    Getting to the coast is no problem. Getting to the surface is the hard part :biggrin:

18. Oct 3, 2005 #17
    thats what you get mac boy!

i end up west of australia in the ocean :( but i do end up in china if i dig from my city of birth lol. tomororrow ill start the digging but ill have to get some tips from the very factual movie "The Core"

19. Oct 3, 2005 #18

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Indian Ocean. If I jump in and free fall, it takes about 42 minutes to wind up at the other side.

20. Oct 3, 2005 #19
    You could not free fall (neglecting air resistance) through a straight hole in the earth unless that hole was drilled from one pole to the other.

21. Oct 3, 2005 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, it's because he has dial-up and an OLD mac. None of those google maps/satellite images worked for me when I was on dial-up, they're just too large of files and never finish downloading. Now that I have cable internet, no problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?