Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Your opinion on this degree please: Mechanical and Space Engineering

1. Mar 25, 2006 #1
    Hi there.
    I'm a first year University student, enrolled in International Business. I enrolled in this degree because when I did I was really confused as to what I should do:( And I don't like being confused! What a waste of a year! (Or possibly semester if I transfer to Arts next semester and do Mathematics Engineering related subjects)
    Well, now, I'm planning on transfering to Engineering, hopefully next year. So I would like to hear some advice, as well as professional, from currently students, people who work in the field and such...
    Here is the degree link http://www.uq.edu.au/study/plan.html?acad_plan=MECSPX2001
    Because I have always had a passion/great interest in things to do with Space and Astronomy, I feel that this degree would be suitable, because from reading previous topics here, I notice that things to do with Aerospace are not promising?? So I guess it would be good that the Mechanical part is also included in that program.

I'm not so sure, but if I do complete this degree, will it be possible for me to work in communications and such? Like, working with satellites and their communication, things associated with that. Sorry if you don't understand me, but I can't think of another way to explain that.

Thank you in advance!
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2006 #2
    I'm currently a sophomore in mechanical engineering.
    I am such a small potato here.
    I am just here to initiate the discussion.
    I have had a glimpse on the website you quoted.
    I just found the first-year course configuration on that website, and I think that the first year courses are just basically the same as those mechanical engineering majors. Do you have the courses descriptions on the second year and third year courses? They will be more important in determining whether you will acquire enough knowledge from the college to work with satellites and communications stuffs.

Just from my intuitive thinking that it will be more sensable for information, electrical or electronic engineers to deal with the communication and signals stuffs? And satellites...are the mechanical engineers involved in the mechanical design in satellites and the orbits stuffs? I am not sure...I am really a small potato, and I would also hope to listen to the professionals here. Please kindly help!
  4. Mar 26, 2006 #3
    Thanks for your input:)
    For some reason, the website doesn't have second year subjects, not sure why...but we can just wait for a more experienced person to reply on that matter!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?