Zemax Optical Design: Tutorial & Exercises

In summary: You need to read more books. I have a question regarding finite conjugate designs at low F/#'s on image side. I have been a user since the original Zemax was for sale, and have some experience in design. On two of my F/0.8 designs under test in my lab the magnification does not agree with Zemax predictions. Is there some special consideration in the Zemax setups for low F/#. This problem has not occurred with my other systems or older lens design programs.
Polopolo81
Hi everybody,
I’m a new user of Zemax, I did some tutorial so I begin to know the functionalities of the soft. But my major trouble comes from the fact that I don’t know really the procedure, the drill.. to make a system from particularities data. For example, I try to do the exercises of the book “Introduction to lens design with Zemax practical example” by Joseph M. Geary. The first homework is a simple lens design from several points, and I have to calculate the mains characteristics.

Input data:
Infinity objet (20mm semi diameter)
Field : 2 incidence: 0° and 5°
Format size of the IMA : rectangular.
Aperture stop: 20 mm semi diameter (plane surface)
Thickness between Aperture Stop and first lens surface: 0
Equiconvex lens
Fnumber: f/10
Lambda: 587nm
Lens Material: BK7

Data to calculate:
EFL
Lens Power
Lens thickness
Radius of curvature R1 and R2
Format size of Ima
Airy disk diameter.

I don’t get to choose the good variables in my system, which cell must be define with marginal ray, chief ray…where start ??

I hope somebody could help me.
Thank you for your replies.

Attachments

• Intro lens design.JPG
    Intro lens design.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,417
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi
I was searching the web to clarify a conceptual issue regarding the wavefront map in Zemax. Wavefront map in Zemax is suppose to tell us about the optical aberrations of the system. Now if I propagate a plane parallel beam in vacuum/air from the object to Image plane beam without any optical element in between, then I would expect the wavefront error to be zero at the image plane. But that is not so. For some strange reason, the wavefront aberrations become finite on the image plane. Anywhere between the object and image plane the wavefront error remain zero. I am missing something very trivial here, which is driving me crazy. Could you please shed some light on this? Looking forward to hearing from you.

Something seems to be incorrect in your file, you should not have >1000 waves PV from just the diffraction at the aperture, it should be zero or very very small. Can you attached the zemax file when you post and we can help you figure it out or just call zemax support, they are usually very efficient at getting right to the problem in less than 5 min or so. Michael

Polopolo81 said:
Hi everybody,
I’m a new user of Zemax, I did some tutorial so I begin to know the functionalities of the soft. But my major trouble comes from the fact that I don’t know really the procedure, the drill.. to make a system from particularities data. For example, I try to do the exercises of the book “Introduction to lens design with Zemax practical example” by Joseph M. Geary. The first homework is a simple lens design from several points, and I have to calculate the mains characteristics.

Input data:
Infinity objet (20mm semi diameter)
Field : 2 incidence: 0° and 5°
Format size of the IMA : rectangular.
Aperture stop: 20 mm semi diameter (plane surface)
Thickness between Aperture Stop and first lens surface: 0
Equiconvex lens
Fnumber: f/10
Lambda: 587nm
Lens Material: BK7

Data to calculate:
EFL
Lens Power
Lens thickness
Radius of curvature R1 and R2
Format size of Ima
Airy disk diameter.

I don’t get to choose the good variables in my system, which cell must be define with marginal ray, chief ray…where start ??

I hope somebody could help me.
Thank you for your replies.

you need read more books.

I have a question regarding finite conjugate designs at low F/#'s on image side. I have been a user since the original Zemax was for sale, and have some experience in design. On two of my F/0.8 designs under test in my lab the magnification does not agree with Zemax predictions. Is there some special consideration in the Zemax setups for low F/#. This problem has not occurred with my other systems or older lens design programs.
Magnification is too low at design distances, image over fills the sensor.

Thanks
john

FAQ: Zemax Optical Design: Tutorial & Exercises

1. What is Zemax Optical Design?

Zemax Optical Design is a software program used for designing and analyzing optical systems. It allows scientists and engineers to simulate and optimize the performance of optical systems, such as lenses, mirrors, and other components.

2. How does Zemax Optical Design work?

Zemax Optical Design uses a combination of ray tracing and optimization algorithms to simulate and optimize optical systems. Users can input parameters such as component dimensions, materials, and surface properties, and the software will calculate how light rays will behave within the system.

3. What are some common applications of Zemax Optical Design?

Zemax Optical Design is commonly used in industries such as aerospace, defense, and medical devices to design and optimize optical systems for various applications. It can also be used in research and development for academic purposes.

4. Can Zemax Optical Design simulate non-sequential systems?

Yes, Zemax Optical Design has a non-sequential mode which allows users to simulate and analyze systems that do not follow the traditional sequential path of light. This is useful for systems such as fiber optics, light pipes, and freeform optics.

5. Is Zemax Optical Design user-friendly for beginners?

Zemax Optical Design has a user-friendly interface and offers various tutorials and exercises to help beginners learn how to use the software. However, it does require a basic understanding of optics and optical design principles to effectively use the program.