Zener diode exercise solved by me,is it correct?

In summary, there are several questions regarding a circuit with given values of Vz, Iz, rz, Izk, R, and V. The first question asks for the output voltage when the input voltage is 9V. The second question asks for the maximum load current for which the diode works in the breakdown region. The third question asks for the smallest value of the voltage source for which the diode still works in the breakdown region while the charge flows 1/2 of the maximum load current. The solutions provided address the first two questions, but the third question remains unanswered. A circuit diagram would be helpful in solving this problem.
Questions999

Homework Statement

We have Vz=6.8 V and Iz=5 mA,rz=20 Ohm,Izk=0.2 mA, R=200 Ohm and the source V= 9 volt
a)Find the output voltage when we have the input voltage with the nominal value of 9 Volt.
b)Find for the nominal value of the voltage,which is the maximum load current for which the diode works in the breakdown region?
c)Find the smallest value of the voltage source for which the diode still works in the breakdown region,while in the charge flows 1/2 of the maximum load current. How do I do this?

Homework Equations

I have included them in the solution

The Attempt at a Solution

Solution for the first one a)http://i.imgur.com/Jgn1bWN.jpg
b)http://i.imgur.com/wJYLCAG.jpg
c) I don't know how to do this
Are my solutions correct? Can you give me a clue on how to do c?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Elaia06,

Can you post a circuit diagram? The implied circuit configuration should be obvious, but it's good to be certain.

Your first image is supposedly a solution for part (a) but it doesn't seem to address the question. Instead it appears to be dealing with output voltage variation and introducing some values not specified in the problem statement. For your part (b) image you have assumed a minimum source voltage of 8 V. Why, when the problem statement says that the nominal value of 9 V should be used?

As a suggestion, the equations that you're posting as images would not be difficult to type into the text of your post. Using the Advanced editing pane you have the access to the appropriate symbols, and you can also use LaTex syntax if you need to portray fancier equations.

1. What is a Zener diode?

A Zener diode is a special type of diode that is designed to operate in the reverse breakdown region, allowing it to maintain a constant voltage regardless of changes in the current passing through it. This makes it useful for regulating voltage in electronic circuits.

2. How does a Zener diode work?

A Zener diode works by utilizing a process called Zener breakdown, where the diode's junction is intentionally designed to have a high electric field strength. When the reverse voltage across the diode reaches a certain threshold, the high electric field causes a current to flow in the opposite direction, allowing the diode to maintain a constant voltage.

3. What is the purpose of the "Zener diode exercise"?

The purpose of the Zener diode exercise is to practice using Zener diodes in electronic circuits and to understand their behavior under different conditions. This exercise typically involves solving problems related to calculating voltage and current values in a circuit containing a Zener diode.

4. How do I know if my solution to the Zener diode exercise is correct?

To check if your solution to the Zener diode exercise is correct, you can compare your calculations to the expected values provided in the exercise. You can also use a multimeter to measure the voltage and current in the circuit and compare them to your calculated values.

5. What are some common applications of Zener diodes?

Zener diodes are commonly used in voltage regulation circuits, such as in power supplies and voltage references. They can also be used in surge protection circuits, voltage clamping circuits, and as a form of noise reduction in electronic circuits.