Easy zener diode circuit questions

In summary: I don't know what designation to use... the circuit box that's connected to the 10 V power supply. The potential at the top of that box is not 10 V. That's the point of the calculation I suggested you do. Remove the zener diode and measure the potential at the top of that box. That's the potential the zener will see. If it's not above 5.1 V, then the zener will not conduct and will have no effect on the circuit.Okay, so that calculation is correct but the zener just doesn't do anything in the circuit?In summary, the conversation discusses the calculations for current in a circuit with a zener diode. The
nothing909

Homework Statement

upload_2016-11-5_17-27-43.png

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So basically, as the question says, you need to calculate the current in the zener and load when the supply voltage is 10V and then again when it's 15V.

FOR 10V SUPPLY

Voltage across resistor = 10-5 = 5v

Supply current = 5/1000 = 5mA

Voltage across load = 5V as Zener and load are in parallel

Current through load = 5/1000 = 5mA

Current through Zener = Supply current – Load current = 5 – 5 = 0
FOR 15V SUPPLY

Voltage across resistor = 15-5 = 10v

Supply current = 10/1000 = 10mA

Current through Zener = Supply current – Load current = 10 – 5 = 5 mA

This doesn't look correct. I've never did a question with zener diodes before and I'm confused. What is it I'm doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
nothing909 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 108511

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So basically, as the question says, you need to calculate the current in the zener and load when the supply voltage is 10V and then again when it's 15V.

FOR 10V SUPPLY

Voltage across resistor = 10-5 = 5v

Supply current = 5/1000 = 5mA

Current through Zener = Supply current – Load current = 5 – 5 = 0
FOR 15V SUPPLY

Voltage across resistor = 15-5 = 10v

Current through Zener = Supply current – Load current = 10 – 5 = 5 mAThis doesn't look correct. I've never did a question with zener diodes before and I'm confused. What is it I'm doing wrong?
Looks correct to me.

Your calculations are fine as far as they go, however...

The designation "5V1" on the zener diode is a fairly common way to specify the zener voltage where the "V" is placed to represent the decimal point. I don't know if this syntax was explained to you. So the zener in question has a 5.1 V threshold.

This will affect your calculations. In particular, if there's not enough voltage "left" after the drop across R1 to let the zener operate then the zener can't conduct any current; it's as if the zener is removed from the circuit. I suggest that the first thing to check is whether or not a zener in that location will be able to conduct: remove the zener and check the potential at that node. If it's less than the zener voltage then the zener will have no effect on the circuit. If it's higher than the zener voltage, then the zener can conduct and "pull" the voltage down to its threshold voltage of 5.1 V.

Likes cnh1995
cnh1995 said:
Looks correct to me.
So the current through the zener for the 10v supply is 0A?

My lecturer was saying that instead of using 5V for the zener, I should be using 5.1V because that's its breakdown voltage or something.

nothing909 said:
So the current through the zener for the 10v supply is 0A?

My lecturer was saying that instead of using 5V for the zener, I should be using 5.1V because that's its breakdown voltage or something.
Right. I didn't know 5V1 means 5.1V. Post #2 clarifies that.

gneill said:
Your calculations are fine as far as they go, however...

The designation "5V1" on the zener diode is a fairly common way to specify the zener voltage where the "V" is placed to represent the decimal point. I don't know if this syntax was explained to you. So the zener in question has a 5.1 V threshold.

This will affect your calculations. In particular, if there's not enough voltage "left" after the drop across R1 to let the zener operate then the zener can't conduct any current; it's as if the zener is removed from the circuit. I suggest that the first thing to check is whether or not a zener in that location will be able to conduct: remove the zener and check the potential at that node. If it's less than the zener voltage then the zener will have no effect on the circuit. If it's higher than the zener voltage, then the zener can conduct and "pull" the voltage down to its threshold voltage of 5.1 V.
Should I use 5.1 in the calculation or just 5?

nothing909 said:
Should I use 5.1 in the calculation or just 5?
The zener voltage is 5.1 V. Use 5.1 V. And do the check I suggested for each of your power supply voltage cases.

FOR 10V SUPPLY

Voltage across resistor = 10-5.1 = 4.9v

Supply current = 4.9/1000 = 4.9mA

Voltage across load = 5.1V as Zener and load are in parallel

Current through load = 5.1/1000 = 5.1mA

Current through Zener = Supply current – Load current = 4.9 – 5.1 = -0.2 mA
FOR 15V SUPPLY

Voltage across resistor = 15-5.1 = 9.9v

Supply current = 9.9/1000 = 9.9mA

Voltage across load = 5.1V as Zener and load are in parallel

Current through load = 5.1/1000 = 5.1mA

Current through Zener = Supply current – Load current = 9.9 – 5.1 = 4.8 mASo for the current through the zener for the 10V supply, it's -0.2mA? I don't understand. Is that correct?

nothing909 said:
So for the current through the zener for the 10V supply, it's -0.2mA? I don't understand. Is that correct?
This means the zener is not working and has no effect on the circuit. You should analyse the circuit by removing the zener. It is not conducting any current.

nothing909 said:
So for the current through the zener for the 10V supply, it's -0.2mA? I don't understand. Is that correct?
Re-read the second paragraph of my reply in post #3.

Okay, so that calculation is correct but the zener just doesn't do anything in the circuit?

nothing909 said:
Okay, so that calculation is correct but the zener just doesn't do anything in the circuit?
The calculation is fine mathematically, but it doesn't apply to the circuit you're analyzing. You're making an assumption about the potential at the top of the zener which is not true for this case.

Okay, so let's say I get that question in my test and I do the calculations that I have just shown using 5.1V as the zener voltage. Will I get the marks for that?

nothing909 said:
Okay, so let's say I get that question in my test and I do the calculations that I have just shown using 5.1V as the zener voltage. Will I get the marks for that?
No. At best you'll get partial marks. You failed to recognize that the zener was not going to conduct at all because it was being "asked" to operate outside of its range of operation for zener mode.

Always check whether or not the zener is going to be able to conduct in a given situation. If it cannot conduct then it won't behave as a zener; it'll just behave as an open circuit.

So the 15V supply one is correct?

For the 10V supply one, should the calculations shown not prove that it doesn't conduct? After I prove it doesn't conduct, should I then not just then write a statement saying "the zener will not conduct..."

If I don't show they calculations for the 10V supply, how do I know by just looking at it that it won't conduct?

nothing909 said:
So the 15V supply one is correct?
Yes.
For the 10V supply one, should the calculations shown not prove that it doesn't conduct? After I prove it doesn't conduct, should I then not just then write a statement saying "the zener will not conduct..."
You could say that. But you still need to state the zener current and load current explicitly in order to answer the question.
If I don't show they calculations for the 10V supply, how do I know by just looking at it that it won't conduct?
You first do the check that I explained in post #3. Just do the check. It's that simple.

Once you have gained experience you'll be able to spot these "iffy" or "borderline" cases by looking at the part values in the circuit. I see that R1 and R2 have the same value and would form a voltage divider if the zener were not there. As a voltage divider they would want to produce a potential of half the supply voltage at their junction. Half of 10 volts is 5 volts, which is less than the zener voltage of 5.1 V, so the zener won't be able to turn on.

gneill said:
Yes.
You could say that. But you still need to state the zener current and load current explicitly in order to answer the question.
I'm sorry for going on but what do you mean I need to state explicitly the load and zener current? Didn't I do that?

Zener currrent = - 0.2mA
Load current 5.1mA

I calculated the supply current to be 4.9mA so how can the load current be 5.1?

nothing909 said:
I'm sorry for going on but what do you mean I need to state explicitly the load and zener current? Didn't I do that?

Zener currrent = - 0.2mA
Load current 5.1mA

I calculated the supply current to be 4.9mA so how can the load current be 5.1?
You stated two incorrect values. No points for that.

You made an incorrect assumption, that the zener would hold its voltage at 5.1 V. With the given circuit and a 10 V supply the zener could not do that (which is why you want to do the check first). So the load current and the source current, both calculated assuming that the zener would be at 5.1 V, ended up with incorrect values.

gneill said:
You stated two incorrect values. No points for that.

You made an incorrect assumption, that the zener would hold its voltage at 5.1 V. With the given circuit and a 10 V supply the zener could not do that (which is why you want to do the check first). So the load current and the source current, both calculated assuming that the zener would be at 5.1 V, ended up with incorrect values.
Okay, so before doing any calculations I check if it will work and if not, I state that it won't conduct. What about the values that "I need to state explicitly?" What are the values I need to state to get all the marks?

You need to state that the zener current is zero and the actual load current (by a new calculation).

If the zener current is 0, the load current must just be 4.9mA, right?

So, zener doesn't conduct. Zener current = 0 Load current = 4.9mA

nothing909 said:
If the zener current is 0, the load current must just be 4.9mA, right?

So, zener doesn't conduct. Zener current = 0 Load current = 4.9mA
Show your calculation for that.

The calculation is load current = supply current - zener current = 4.9mA - 0 = 4.9

Am I correct?

nothing909 said:
The calculation is load current = supply current - zener current = 4.9mA - 0 = 4.9

Am I correct?
No. How did you determine the supply current?

Oh, yea, sorry.

Voltage across resistor = 10V

Load current = Supply current - Zener current = 10 - 0 = 10mA

nothing909 said:
Oh, yea, sorry.

Voltage across resistor = 10V

Load current = Supply current - Zener current = 10 - 0 = 10mA
No, 10 V is not across R1. Re-draw the circuit with the zener removed. What's left?

There's only 2 1k resistors left in series. 5V is split between both of them.

Total resistance = 2k

Supply current = V/R = 10/2000 = 5mA

Load current = 5mA

nothing909 said:
There's only 2 1k resistors left in series. 5V is split between both of them.

Total resistance = 2k

Supply current = V/R = 10/2000 = 5mA

Load current = 5mA
Yes! :smile:

From that information, what potential would you have at the junction of the resistors?

I don't understand what you mean. :/

Can I ask one more question about this circuit. What is zener voltage supposed to be? 9.1?

Attachments

• Zener voltage current question.PNG
    Zener voltage current question.PNG
    8.6 KB · Views: 435
nothing909 said:
I don't understand what you mean. :/
If your load current is 5 mA, what is the voltage V1 in the following diagram?
upload_2016-11-5_16-45-18.png

nothing909 said:
Can I ask one more question about this circuit. What is zener voltage supposed to be? 9.1?
Yes.

gneill said:
If your load current is 5 mA, what is the voltage V1 in the following diagram?
View attachment 108524Yes.
The voltage is 5V.

And just quickly about that second circuit, just so I know this is correct. The reading on the voltmeter would be 9.1V and the reading on the ammeter would be:

Voltage across resistor = 20 - 9.1 = 10.9V

Reading on ammeter = 10.9/10000 = 1.09mA

nothing909 said:
The voltage is 5V.
Correct. Which is less that the zener voltage of 5.1 V. So the zener placed there would not conduct. That's the test I was urging you to carry out.
And just quickly about that second circuit, just so I know this is correct. The reading on the voltmeter would be 9.1V and the reading on the ammeter would be:

Voltage across resistor = 20 - 9.1 = 10.9V

Reading on ammeter = 10.9/10000 = 1.09mA
Yes, that looks good.

gneill said:
Correct. Which is less that the zener voltage of 5.1 V. So the zener placed there would not conduct. That's the test I was urging you to carry out.

Yes, that looks good.
okay, great, thanks very much for all your help. :)

1. What is a zener diode and how does it work?

A zener diode is a type of diode that is designed to operate in the reverse breakdown region, meaning it can conduct electricity in the opposite direction of a traditional diode. This allows it to regulate voltage by maintaining a constant voltage across its terminals, even when the input voltage changes.

2. How do I choose the appropriate zener diode for my circuit?

The appropriate zener diode for a circuit depends on the desired output voltage and the maximum current that will be flowing through the circuit. It is important to choose a zener diode with a breakdown voltage slightly higher than the desired output voltage, and to make sure it has a current rating that can handle the expected current.

3. Can I use a zener diode to regulate AC voltage?

No, zener diodes are only effective at regulating DC voltage. They will not work for AC voltage because the direction of current flow constantly changes, preventing the diode from entering the reverse breakdown region.

4. What is the difference between a zener diode and a regular diode?

The main difference between a zener diode and a regular diode is their intended use. A regular diode is designed to allow current to flow in one direction only, while a zener diode is designed to allow current to flow in both directions when it reaches a certain voltage threshold. This allows zener diodes to be used for voltage regulation.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using a zener diode in a circuit?

One potential drawback of using a zener diode is that it can generate a significant amount of heat when regulating voltage. This heat can cause the diode to fail if it is not properly cooled. Additionally, zener diodes have a limited current handling capacity, so they may not be suitable for high current applications.