1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Zero Electric potential and null electric field

1. Dec 11, 2005 #1

I've this true/false statement: "If the electric potential is zero in some point of space, then the electric field in that point should be null"

I think this statement is false: the electric field might be generated for example by two charges: +5C and -4C separated by 2 meters. There is a point in between them where the potential is zero (the electric potential is also zero in the infinite) but in that point the electric field vector is not null.

Am I right? I would really appreciate any help

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2005 #2
    That is correct. The electric field is related to the derivative of the electric potential so you can draw an analogy to a particle which is undergoing some acceleration. Just because the velocity is zero at some point does not mean that the particle is not accelerating at that point.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?